What is a gcse modifier table and who uses them?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fatandfifty

What is a gcse modifier table and who uses them?

Post by Fatandfifty »

DD said she had got the score 6.9 from her collection of gcses but has no idea what it means. Can anyone explain this to me and the above.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

1 point is given for a G, 2 for a F, all the way up to 7 for an A and 8 for an A*, so if you had 5 As and 5 Bs this would give you 5x7=35 plus 5x6 =30, totalling 65. You then divide this by the number of exams sat, in this case 10, giving a score of 6.5.

Some 6th form colleges use this as a guide to determine how many subjects should be carried on into 6th form.Your DD has done well, I think.

LFH
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Thanks LFH. I did google after leaving this site and it through up Durham University which has a table enabling them to add points or not if presiding at a Grammar school which was another thing I didn't understand as this was called a modifier table. Sorry for so many questions but I am a very dim mum trying to make sense of it all as DD may become 'first generation uni' in the family so I need all the help I can get.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Don't worry F&F...I'm sure you're not in the least dim. I only know because we're looking for a change possibly for 6th form, and saw this in a brochure somewhere.
There's a whole other thread talking about the Durham modifier....some are for some against. Hopefully (altho' I'm not a technowhizz) this is the link - makes for some interesting reading

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 338#141338
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now