13+ Appeal to test, Urgent Help Needed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum15

13+ Appeal to test, Urgent Help Needed

Post by mum15 »

I shall appreciate some help on Refusal to test appeal for Bucks , my daughter has 2 5s and a 4 KS2 Sats , English and Science
what type of academic evidence I can submit , help with the grounds of appeal also required, 120 in 12+ will it help the appeal to submit the test result for 12+?
Please advise what sort of year8 levels she will be required to have achieved at this appeal.
Any info will be highly appreciated
:(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear mum15

The reason appears to be the lack of a level 5 in English at the end of year 6. I assume there wasn't a problem about entry to the 12+ because at that point in time it wasn't specified that the level 5s had to be in English and Maths. The rules have changed!

The 120 score is worth including, and I would have thought that such a borderline score in itself might satisfy an appeal panel.

Ideally I would be looking for current level 6 standard in the main subjects (not newer subjects).

Other possibilities (if the evidence is good - don't include anything that will damage your case):
  • strong letter of support from current school
    Good school report last July (especially for English and Maths)
    CAT scores
Are there any extenuating circumstances that might have led to an underperformance in English or VR (e.g. dyslexia)?
Etienne
mum15

Post by mum15 »

Thank you very much for your help.
she has KS2 level 5 in English and Science , Maths level 4 +
extenuating circumstances.
I read on the forum academic evidence is not required for this appeal, but the appeals pack suggests otherwise.
I would have thought Maths is irrelevant to VR tests
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry - because English came after level 4 in your post, I misread. ("a 4 KS2 Sats , English ....")

Not sure I understand the reference to "extenuating circumstances" in your latest post.
I read on the forum academic evidence is not required for this appeal, but the appeals pack suggests otherwise.
Could you tell us where you saw this?
I would have thought Maths is irrelevant to VR tests
I guess they're not just looking at VR. Where late entry is concerned, they're also considering how someone might 'fit in'. (By the time we get to year 10 entry, all the tests are more often than not curriculum based.)
Etienne
mum15

Post by mum15 »

Etienne thanks again, can I pm you?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, it's not possible to send me a PM, but if you need any advice regarding confidential matters there is a facility available (follow link at top of page).

Good luck with your appeal - the success rate is much higher than for other types of appeal (55% - 65%).
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi mum15
mum15 wrote:I read on the forum academic evidence is not required for this appeal, but the appeals pack suggests otherwise.
Is it possible that you are thinking of a Transfer Appeal - one for a different school to the one allocated? Academic evidence can often play a lesser part in that type of appeal. Please do let us know if you have seen a comment about academic evidence not being needed for a Refusal to Test appeal, because we will need to correct it.
mum15 wrote:I would have thought Maths is irrelevant to VR tests
There are 5 question types in the Bucks 12+/13+ that are numeric (as compared to 4 in the 11+), so maths does play a part in the tests. However, as Etienne says, specifying Level 5 SATs in Maths and English is more about looking for general ability. Personally I think that it is a step too far to specify those two subjects, and the system from last year - requiring two Level 5s in any of the three subjects - was a fairer one.

Sally-Anne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi Mum15
We have just received a letter informing us that our DD is not being given the opportunity to sit the 12+ as, like your DD, her Level 5's are in English and Science with a level 4A in Maths. It does seems really unfair when last year there would have been no question of her suitability to sit the test. Most of her school work is being marked as Level 5. However, we have discussed with her whether or not to appeal and she has made the decision that she would like to stay at her current school where she has settled in really well, is in top groups for everything and is getting merits for her high standard of work pretty much on a daily basis. I hope we do not live to regret the decision! I wish you the best of luck with your appeal and will be following your case with interest.

Mummog x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now