VR questions - identifying groups of vocab

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wizard

VR questions - identifying groups of vocab

Post by wizard »

Having started to look through some VR books/papers I have noticed some areas of vocab seem to pop up more often than others eg types of hat, groups of animals,names for baby animals etc.

I have started to make a list of these and wondered whether someone who is further down the 11+ route may have done this already and be willing to share it with me.
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

Have you tried using "The New First Aid In English".
Might be useful.
chad

Post by chad »

I don't think that there is a list of 'groups' of words on the site but there are other resources.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/freque ... stions.php

is a link to all types of resource including the table of the 21 'types' of question found in most VR.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi ... wnload.php

is the link to free downloads.... if you scroll down the page you will see that there are some 'word' lists.

Hope that helps
Milla

Post by Milla »

dances, anagrams (these are in the three which are right, two wrong - say warder, drawer and reward), fruits, birds, plants, words for bodies of water. Beware, though, and be prepared with your groupings because of the English language's cunning habit of having one word meaning two or three things. So sometimes they'll fox you by putting say, fork, knife ... and you think, aha! it's cutlery and then there'll be branch, divide or something and it's fork in a different context.
stevew61

Re: VR questions - identifying groups of vocab

Post by stevew61 »

wizard wrote:Having started to look through some VR books/papers I have noticed some areas of vocab seem to pop up more often than others eg types of hat, groups of animals,names for baby animals etc.

I have started to make a list of these and wondered whether someone who is further down the 11+ route may have done this already and be willing to share it with me.
Hi wizard,

I think lists make us parents feel better, kids learn by reading, reading and reading.

Having said that I do make lists on index cards, very sad, very addictive. :lol:

Have a look here,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ht=#134428

Introducing vocab. throughout the day works well, I hoped that a small electronic dictionary/thesaurus might help DS2, it has not helped yet but older brother has used it to help with homework. :)

steve
stayincalm

Post by stayincalm »

Hi - I think the verbal reasoning papers are pretty tough papers for our 10 year olds. I notice that when my dd reads she gets the generally gist of the text so has comprehension and picks up an idea of the word meaning but its not quite accurate and therefore doesnt help with the test papers. I guess they have to come across the same word in lots of contexts to really get the meaning right but not all books are that challenging in vocab. Help!
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Stayincalm, we have the same problem. DD reads a lot, but only 'modern' childrens fiction which doesn't have the vocab. She has the same issue as your DD in that although she understands the general sense what she reads, she doesn't understand words out of context.

We have had a list of words (its a free download on this site somewhere) that we have been trawling through with the help of an electronic dictionary, but now we have decided to buy AE tuitions spelling and vocab books so she can do a page a day and see if it helps.

We are also reading 'Oliver Twist' with her (or rather my OH is) and explaining all the vocab as we go along.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pixiequeen wrote:We are also reading 'Oliver Twist' with her (or rather my OH is) and explaining all the vocab as we go along.
A very good strategy. Why not move on to "A Christmas Carol" after that? Very seasonal!
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

What a good idea Sally-Anne :D Oliver Twist is proving rather slow going though, we shall have to ramp it up to get on to A Christmas Carol before the festive season is over!
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Here I am, night before my DC's VR exam, and I stumble across this EXCELLENT post .... oooooh I wish I had spotted this sooner ... lol.

Oh well :roll:

I hope that other parents will pick up on this valuable information :)
chad wrote:I don't think that there is a list of 'groups' of words on the site but there are other resources.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/freque ... stions.php

is a link to all types of resource including the table of the 21 'types' of question found in most VR.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi ... wnload.php

is the link to free downloads.... if you scroll down the page you will see that there are some 'word' lists.

Hope that helps
Knowledge is power

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now