Tiffin 13+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shaftsbury1

Tiffin 13+?

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello all,

Does anyone know about 13+ entry to tiffin?

Yesterday a friend mentioned, that an acquaintance of hers is not entering her ds into 11+ because then if he doesnt get in and he cant enter into the 13+?

I have not heard anything like that before-has anyone else?

Oh and good look to all the dcs doing the sutton and wallington girls tommorow!

I have given ds a break from work to recuperate fully from his illness.He doesnt seem the least bit stressed which doesnt fill me with hope.He is too cool 8) .
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

There is no formal 13+ at Tiffin boys, however, your friend may be right in that there is actually a plausible reason for not sitting the test with everyone else and trying to get in in subsequent years. This is because if you sit the test and do not achieve the cut off mark (i.e. the lowest mark that is offered a place) you are not allowed to even apply to enter the school until the 6th form. (See extract from admission policy below)

"The waiting list will be maintained from 1 March until 31 December 2010. After this date, there will no longer be a list. Candidates who have taken the test but who have not achieved the cut off mark and therefore not been offered a place by that date will not be considered for a place in Years 7 to 11 at any future time."

If you don't sit the test, you can put your name on a waiting list (not the waiting list that applies up to December) and if a place comes up, you sit a test with everyone else on that list and let the best boy win!

It does seem crazy that you could be one mark under the cut off and perfectly capable of coping with the work at Tiffins, but you are not then allowed to even apply again until year 12. I understand that this is to prevent the school being inundated with children who "failed" the test sitting on the school's books waiting for someone to leave...... :(

The same rule applies for Tiffin Girls

It is a risky strategy though, but I do know of a girl who did exactly that at Tiffin Girls and secured a place at end of year 7 (although in her case it wasn't a deliberate ploy.......)