Not Now Please!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mattsurf

Not Now Please!

Post by mattsurf »

Just 5 days from 11+ exam, and our local school has and outbreak of Swine Flu - lots of kids were sent home during the day yesterday. This morning DS woke up with a cough and sore throat.

We are all ready for the 11+ on Saturday, now we are faced with potentially waiting another week.

If DS is not getting better, we will go to the doctor so that we have a proper note and everything is above board.

Hope DS gets better, we could really do without this

Matt
moved

Post by moved »

DD broke her finger 10 days before the 11+ (writing hand - she had calpol before the exam to ease the pain). I had very sensibly stopped rugby, but hockey seemed reasonably safe! We were lucky that she managed anyway. But I did make sure that it was on her medical records.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

Someone stamped on DS hand in Rugby last week - initially we thought that he may have broken a finger, luckily just bruising
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If you think he has swine flu - don't take him to the doctors...... Please.... ... thoughts of a nice little outbreak in the waiting room.

If you are worried then phone the swine flu line and they may give you a ref number to get Tamiflu (if you want the tamiflu that is). Or phone the doctor instead.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I do hope it comes to nothing, mattsurf. Was in a similar situation to you. My DS2's brother had it through half term (the exam was 7 November, the end of the week after half term) and then he seemed to be getting it - high temp, cough, exhaustion, similar symptoms to his bro but without the aching - and I went, not for the first time, into a mild panic, but it sort of passed him by. Come the Saturday he was near as dammit back to normal so I sent him in. I did, though, keep him from school on the Thursday and let him get up late on the Friday as he was just so poleaxed. It didn't seem a case of giving him an advantage in letting him sleep, but ensuring he wasn't at a disadvantage.
Good luck.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think you are right - if they can have more rest - all the better, sometimes that is all it takes to get them feeling better.

The swine flu is incredibly variable some hardly ill at all some quite poorly. actually the annual cough splutter viral snotty nose croupy cough bug seem to be lasting longer than the flu at the mo - just grumbles on......and on.....
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

hermanmunster wrote: the annual cough splutter viral snotty nose croupy cough bug
What a fab description!! I will remember this if I have to write a sick-note to daughters' schools.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

swine flu has visited our home already.....but have had at least one child home each day this week with the abovementioned viral snotty croupy coughy bug going around.
Swine flu hit the week before the 11+, and was told that if he was ill that day, that I would have to make sure that I phoned before the exam was to take place, and to go get the tamiflu whether I wanted him to take it or not - to show that I had the prescription, and had phoned in to alert them he was ill. Luckily - never had to do it as he was fine before the exam.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

Luckily appears to have been the viral snotty croupy coughy bug - kept DS off school on Tuesday and Wednesday... although he was probably well enough to go in on Wednesday.

Now younger DS has the bug
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now