Waving hello.....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dottie1974

Waving hello.....

Post by dottie1974 »

Just wanted to say a quick hello and introduce myself!

My DD is in Year 5 so just trying to get a bit of a 'heads up' about the 11+. I have found this forum really useful (I am from Wokingham, Berks where we didn't have the 11+ so its all a bit new - and overwhelming (!!) to me at the moment.

I can't imagine I will be posting much to start with but I shall be lurking around!!

Thans guys

Dottie
chad

Post by chad »

Hi dottie... and welcome to the forum.

There is loads of info on the site..... but anything you can't find just ask and hopefully someone will point you in the right direction.

Chad
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi Dottie....a big welcome to the forum! We all think when we first join that we won't post much....lol :lol:

Have you spoken to your child's teacher yet about eleven plus? Any feedback from the school?

:)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Hello Dotty!

I hope you pluck up enough courage to wade in and join us, we are quite approachable really.

As the others have said if you have any questions just ask. There is nearly always someone who can help and if we can't ,we know we'll try to find out. The grammar school process is quite mind boggling at first.
Ive seen two children of my own through it and out the other side and now tutor other children.

There are a few "stickies" at the top of the Kent section which show the areas covered by the Kent Test and a brief outline of what the test consists of.

I see you are in East Kent. I'm almost as far South East as you can get without falling off the edge.

We look forward to 'seeing' you again!

:D
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Hello dottie..
Welcome to the forum. You discovered the forum in good time. Have a look through the various topics. Thats what I do nowadays, kind of obsessed with this place and to think I have an year ahead :).

My DD is also in year 5 and would be doing her eleven plus next year.

Which part of Kent are you from ?
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

Thanks for the welcome :D

At parents evening the 11+ as discussed - they showed me her CAT test (I think that is what they were anyway) and they were lower than the school were expecting. The school will not tell you whether they think your child should do the 11+ just give you the results and let you make your mind up. I think one of the problems is that she goes to a church primary and the head wants all pupils to go to the church secondary so does not allow discussions on 11+ by staff and also does not do Head Teachers appeals should children not pass. This last bit about head teacher appeals is what I have heard from the playground rather than teaching staff so cannot guarantee that statement is 100% accurate!

My dd is intelligent but definately not one of lifes high-fliers. We have gone to a tutor as I know that maths is her weaker area (she is still on the 'top table' at school for this but is not as strong in maths as literacy).

I did figure that starting to look at these forums now would be helpful as being prepared always makes me feel better about things lol :lol:

We are from Ashford - there is only the one grammar school here and teh reputation of other non-selective schools in the area scares me (again more playground gossip than anything else!!)

Dottie
tiredmum

11 plus

Post by tiredmum »

Hi - just thought id say that it sounds like your daughter is on all the right tables for you to seriously consider preparing her for the 11 plus. My daughter has just taken the medway 11 plus and passed. This time last year, at the start of year 5 her teacher called me in because even though she was top 5 in class for literacy her maths was only a level 3c and she was on the third table.! She came out of year 2 with a level 2a so she had hardly made any progress in 2 years of teaching - and thats where i laid the blame. Thankfully her teacher realised she was bright and gave me a weekly update so i could work at home with my child on her weak points(she didnt want a tutor). They tested her 3 months later and she had jumped a whole level to a 4c. Now she is on the top table doing level 5 work and much happier as she dosnt struggle. :lol:
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

That is very impressive progress your DD made tiredmum - you must be really proud of her and the work and effort she has put in to progress that quickly!

If I felt able to progress my daugher enough at home then I don't think I would use a tutor, mainly due to costs. However for teachers/tutors she is very compliant and eager to please to win their praise, but its a different kettle of fish entirely when I try to work with her - arguing, sulking, crying etc. I blame us both being scorpios lol.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

dottie1974 wrote:when I try to work with her - arguing, sulking, crying etc. I blame us both being scorpios lol.
:lol:

Yes very proud. This time last year i wasn't even thinking she would be in for a chance with the 11 plus but she was determined to do the test - i think thats why she made such quick progress with her maths, that and the fact I knew she had it in her its just the teaching in maths up till that time hadn't bought it out of her. Once she got her 4c level (jan 09)we began to look at 11 plus "how to do" books. They moved her up a group in maths at school and she was so proud. She did all the work I just planned it and guided her. Its been a bit of a whirl wind though :lol:

If your child is determinded then I would say whatever help she needs then go for it, we will all help on this forum .
BusyLizzy

Post by BusyLizzy »

Dottie I was in exactly the same position as you at the beginning of November this year and over the last few weeks have been working with Lessons in the Post. Have been amazed DD progress, confidence etc. Its also empowered me as a parent. Have a much better understanding of what she needs to know, how she is progressing and how I can help her.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now