Anyone know if these scores should be enough??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cairo

Anyone know if these scores should be enough??

Post by cairo »

DS1 did not do as well as expected (having been getting 90%+ in practice tests) and is very disappointed that he might not get into Tommys. :( Does anyone know whether his scores would have been enough to get into the various schools last year?

Tommys: 211 (pass mark 210). There were apparently 250 boys with a mark of 210 or above, this year: so looks unlikely for my son.

The Crypt 113.5 (pass mark 107.5). No info given as to how many people qualified.

Marling 232 (pass mark 216). This is apparently ranked Equal 151st - they have 120 places.

I know spaces get freed up during the allocation process, but would really appreciate any guidance on quite how much this happens, if possible. Just trying to hang on to any crumb of hope here... God, this is an awful process, isn't it?

PS Congratulations to all those who had good news today and commisserations to those who didn't.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi Cairo

I do think Tommies last year started at 220
That said, this is another year and a different cohort of kids, so you never know.

You can always put it down and then appeal. Not the best prospect I know, but if you're not in you can't win.

There is a LOT of movement. For example I asked for results from all 4 grammars for boys...but my DS will only be using one place. I will not be the only one doing that. It's a bit of a tidal flow around March. Hang in there!!!

I wish you luck hun...stressful time {big hug}
capers123

Post by capers123 »

The system of getting results at this stage is quite new (3rd or 2nd year) - it used to be 'take exam' then a long wait until March for Allocation day.

I feel that more and more parents are wanting to get as much info as they can, so tick all the boxes on the back of the form. You did it yourself, Cairo, as did most people here. There's nothing wrong with doing so, I should add.

Now look at all the people here who have passes for 3 or 4 schools. I think we're a fairly representative sample. All can only have their child end up in one school, so one place becomes free at three other schools - everyone else moves up a place. Multiply up by the number of children who pass (OK, lets say 50%), and conceivably 50% someone at rank 180 for a 120 intake school finds they have a place come March.

Even after Allocation day there is still some movement in the waiting list as children get results from private school bursaries and drop their grammar place, or move out of the county. Don't rely on that, though - it's always worth appealing as well as being on the waiting list as they're two unrelated ways of possibly getting a place.
Capers
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

The mark for Crypt should be enough-the last 2 years it would definitely have been!

Hang in there!
GM
cairo

Post by cairo »

Thanks everybody for all your support. Starting to feel a bit better about this now. Bought my son a hamster today (I'd promised him one for all the effort he'd put in) and he is beaming from ear to ear with joy. Lovely to see! :)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

[quote="cairo"Bought my son a hamster today (I'd promised him one for all the effort he'd put in) and he is beaming from ear to ear with joy.[/quote]
Your son or the hamster?
Capers
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Oh I promised mine a gecko!!!!
Now I am regretting it...vivarium, bulbs, substrate, LIVE FOOD....erkkkk :?
He hasn't mentioned it so I might have got away with it!!! :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

No. Children are funny creatures...

They 'forget' to wash. 'Forget' to do their homework. 'Forget' to tidy up. 'Forget' their manners. 'Forget' their sports kit...

But they'll never forget the thing you've promised to buy for them!
:mrgreen:
Tiggymum

Please help!!!

Post by Tiggymum »

Daugter passed BUT 181st at shs with 224 and Ribston 217 score - I am feeling so so negative cant see how she will get in anwhere!! any advice
susiesue

Post by susiesue »

Tiggymum, the headteacher from RH said that last year everyone who put RH as a preference ie: 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th, all got a place, including my neice who scored below the required 210.

Also, many people from Gloucester, with no intention of going to SHS, ticked them just to find out their scores (including me).

Don't give up hope :wink: