should I just be relieved?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
slackmum

should I just be relieved?

Post by slackmum »

My son sat the exams with swine flu (did not know he had it all the symptoms fitted in with stress, took his temperature on the afternoon of the test and was over 40). We were already thinking about appeal with support from the doctor and school. However, bless him, he got into the top 120 for Marling. But he also qualified at number 126 for Pates how likely is he to get a place there, their letter implied that the chances were very good. Is it worth appealing or should we just be grateful and go for Marling? Thanks
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Congrats to your son.
Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I would also expect a place at Pates to appear.

However, my personal preference would be distance to school and existing friendship groups. A long journey each day by public transport isn't fun.

Last year we ticked for the two Gloycester grammars, but on the preference form put Stroud first followed by local comp, both of which at 10-15 mins walking distance - sure enough, she meets up with lots of friends on the way to school, and I've heard pops into the local pub with some on the way home. For bottles of lemonade & crisps to sustain them up the hill....
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

Yes, going by what people say, that would sound all but definite for the day and definite for later on. As others have said, make sure the list is in the order YOU want. Congrats to him.
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

from what i have picked up , if you are in the top 130 or even top 140 then you are pretty much guaranteed a place at Pate's.

The key thing is whether you WANT it!
leave it for someone else if you dont!

Seriously, having looked into it, been through it and aske about it etc etc..... put it in teh order that you want.

You could ask the school because they may already have had a few peopel call and say 'thanks for teh letter but we will be staying in manchester / Dean Close / etc' I would say ask teh Head because in my experience he tells you with a bit more candour whereas the lady in admissions , Amanda I think, she tends to stick to the official line!

Ask the Head and then put down schools in te order you want them - remember it doesn't harm other applications if you dontput them first.

I knwo the next few months could drag but the next 7 years will eb even worse if you always wonder 'what if I had put it down?' (whatever the school your favourite is)
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

Thanks for all your input, the distance is an issue but it is bus at 7.30am to either Marling or Pates and no mates going to any grammar school so all pretty equal except we have to pay for the mini bus to Pates. We are going to see Pates on Thursday and then it is totally his choice even if its Thomas Keble I will support it. However I would hate to turn down the opportunity of Pates as he has probably earnt it, not heard a bad word about it whereas the feedback on Marling seems to be a bit mixed to say the least. We are so lucky in this county (which is why we moved here from Bristol) such an embarrasment of riches in our schools Grammar and otherwise.
allovernow

Post by allovernow »

New to all this and very interested in the posts. DS ranked 143 for Pates - what is the view of people who've "been there before" on whether he will get an offer if we put Pates first ? Talking to the school, they say offers were made well below this last 2 years but no guarantees...
capers

Post by capers »

allovernow wrote:New to all this and very interested in the posts. DS ranked 143 for Pates - what is the view of people who've "been there before" on whether he will get an offer if we put Pates first ? Talking to the school, they say offers were made well below this last 2 years but no guarantees...
If you want Pates as first choice, put it as first choice, with second choice grammar at position 2.

If, come allocation day, you get given #2, then that's probably OK, but then go on the waiting list for Pates - and you may well get a place before the start of the Autumn term.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now