Can anyone tell me about Plumstead Manor School for Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bomper

Can anyone tell me about Plumstead Manor School for Girls?

Post by Bomper »

Dd is currently in Yr5 but my thoughts are already turning to secondary school. I very much doubt she will pass her 11+ and am thinking of where best to sent her. On paper Plumstead Manor looks like a good school but has anyone got any first hand experience? Thanks :)
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Bomper, sorry can't help with this one. Have viewed most of the Bexley schools comps plus Beaverwood. Happy to answer any questions if that helps.
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

Thanks Tracy, I am in a bit of a no-mans land as far as secondary schools go. My nearest are Welling & Bexleyheath, neither of which I want my dd to go to!! :shock: I like the look of Cleeve Park but it is a bit of a trek, Blackfen Girls looks great but we would never get in due to distance, and Trinity is out, as we are not Church goers.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Ok, we are slap bang between W and BH, great choice eh? :roll:

Both sink schools in and out of special measures. The main difference between the two is that W streams and BH doesn't. Also, fair bit of vandalism to new buildings at BH which suggests no/little respect. Better at W although still a bit of litter.

You will struggle to get any maths taught at BH that goes past level 5 until yr8. Know of several kids who have left mid yr7, normally the ones who have just failed the 11+.

IMO, having 6 prefs on the caf, you should put your local catchment school as last choice. That way you should at least get a place somewhere. We went for W - at least it's streamed - as there's no way dd would go to BH.

Blackfen - I liked it, maybe not academic enough if you have a near miss, but lovely girls, buildings clean and tidy. If you like it, put it on the form, you never know!

Cleeve - I work there. All core subjects set. Hot on discipline. Shabby buildings but no litter, kids very polite and respect authority but lots of bling! LOADS of computers. Technical. Not perfect by any means and there have been incidents outside of school which have upset the locals. But then so have W and BH, St Caths, St Columbas, Townley. IMO, much better than W or BH.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

And start going to Church every week! :lol:
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi Bomper,

I've PM'd you.
Bomper

Post by Bomper »

Thanks so much for your replies, they are really helpful. My god, it is just so stressful isn't it? Must say, I am leaning towards Cleeve Park, my friends two children go there and are doing extremely well, but it is getting more popular, last year was the first time in ages when they didn't accept all applicants. By the way, never heard on Beaverwood, could someone fill me in? :)
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Beaverwood comes under Bromley and it's not far from Queen Mary's hospital. It's important to Bexley girls as some years more girls lean towards Beaverwood than Blackfen whch means the catchment for Blackfen is wider. :wink:
dani*

Post by dani* »

Blackfen's popularity seems to be falling like a brick. In our Primary a lot of parents keen to move on to Blackfen seem to have changed their mind after the open days. It is interesting to see how things change. Until a few years ago in our Primary the comps of choice seemed to be Blackfen and Hurstmere, this no longer appears to be the case.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Dani, yes, I agree with you. I'm one of the very few at our school who liked it. DD didn't.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now