120 score and school will not support us!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

purple123

120 score and school will not support us!

Post by purple123 »

Hi
I would be really grateful for your advise please.
We moved into Bucks last year and our daughter started a new school (yr5). As she has only completed 3 and half terms in this school, they really do not know her. She has also had teething problems settling in (due to bullying, teacher leaving on maternity leave etc).
Anyway, the bottom line is, they are not willing to support her. Infact I heard today, that back in October the school had informed the county that she is not suitable for Grammar school. Is this legal/normal procedure for a school? And why would they do that? Surely they should look at the 11+ result before doing this. It feels like a decision was already made for her.

I feel totally lost and feel that we really do not even have a chance with the appeal (eventhough she scored 120) if the school will not suport us. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thank you!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, and I'm so sorry to hear your news.

Headteachers at Bucks primary schools are required to 'grade' 11+ candidates before the test. They would be failing to follow the rules if they didn't do so. Local appeal panels want to see what schools thought of their candidates before knowing the 11+ result.

If your child scored 120, despite all the settling in problems, it does raise questions about whether the school has got it wrong.

Before I go any further, what was the other score?
Etienne
purple123

Post by purple123 »

Etienne wrote:Welcome, and I'm so sorry to hear your news.

Headteachers at Bucks primary schools are required to 'grade' 11+ candidates before the test. They would be failing to follow the rules if they didn't do so. Local appeal panels want to see what schools thought of their candidates before knowing the 11+ result.

If your child scored 120, despite all the settling in problems, it does raise questions about whether the school has got it wrong.

Before I go any further, what was the other score?
Hi Etienne, her other score was 117.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

OK. That's a respectable score. I don't know what the headteacher's reasons are, but I think your daughter's done very well in the circumstances.

It's more difficult for you at appeal without the head's support, but quite possible with such good scores. You do need to gather together as much academic evidence as possible. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11
You won't have all these 'indicators', but the more the better! Can you find any good results that pre-date the problems? Year 2 KS1 SATs results would be useful if they're mostly level 3. Does the year 4 school report mention any respectable 'working at' levels?
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Purple 123

The school may not be willing to actively support you, but they cannot be obstructive and withhold information from your child's school record. This information is contained in the Appeals Q&As, but I am replicating here for you because I am feeling a little cross with your daughter's Head at present!

With scores that good, and one score only a mark away the school should be supporting her.

[quote="Sally-Anne"]Remember that, under the Data Protection Act, you have a legal right to your child’s school record. In the first instance, it’s best just to ask to see the record. If the school doesn’t co-operate fully, the following makes clear what your rights are.

[quote]“Technical Guidance Note – Access to personal information held by schools in England.â€
purple123

Post by purple123 »

Thanks for your advice.
Her KS1 results are good - some 3's but some 2A and 2B. Will this go against her? Her year 4 report does mention "at expected level" etc and the expected level of her previous school was 2 yrs ahead of the national curriculum. So that should help...I hope.
purple123

Post by purple123 »

Sally-Anne, Hi, thank you, this is really good advice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now