Question types: Daughtrey converted to Tutor numbers or IPS

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wizard

Question types: Daughtrey converted to Tutor numbers or IPS

Post by wizard »

The mapping IPS letters to Tutor numbers is really helpful. Has anyone got a list of Susan Daughtrey numbers mapped to either IPS or Tutor references?

I know she has a lot more than the 21 types but am struggling to link some of them up

many thanks
stevew61

Re: Question types: Daughtrey converted to Tutor numbers or

Post by stevew61 »

wizard wrote:The mapping IPS letters to Tutor numbers is really helpful. Has anyone got a list of Susan Daughtrey numbers mapped to either IPS or Tutor references?

I know she has a lot more than the 21 types but am struggling to link some of them up

many thanks
Hi wizard,

They are different because one group is multiple-choice the other is standard (write the answer) format. They do overlap but most :roll: exams are one or the other, but I do appreciate you may be taking exams at different schools. I am working on both types with DS2 and DD. :shock:

If you have the SD books it is easy to spot the mapping, some SD types are variants of IPS types...some standard format questions can not be meaningfully put into multiple-choice format.

steve

PS I will have a look at it, SD books (T & P 1,2) are good for vocab and those groups of related words trees, fishes, landscapes (new one today fen, a wetland), it is on my to do list for DS1 :) to collect the vocab. and map the questions. :roll:
wizard

Post by wizard »

I have her red book - VR further practice exercises- and will in time buy the bright spark MC tests. Just wondered whether it was easy to link these to the IPS or Tutor list of VR types?
fruit salad

Re: Question types: Daughtrey converted to Tutor numbers or

Post by fruit salad »

wizard wrote:The mapping IPS letters to Tutor numbers is really helpful. Has anyone got a list of Susan Daughtrey numbers mapped to either IPS or Tutor references?

many thanks
Ok, here is my best guess, but I have not directly compared them for this, so it is bound to be inaccurate. I was mainly concerned with the first 2 sections, as that's where DD needs most attention. Where I really wasn't sure, I left a gap.

It follows the order of:
TUTORS ..IPS.... description of type...Susan D

Codes

3 = C = Word letter codes = 32, 34
9 = L = Letter series = 16
14 = U = Letter connections = 34, 35
19 = N = Word-number codes = 8, 33
- crosswords = 9
- alphabet questions = 15
- put words in alphabetical order = 17

Making Words

1 = A = Insert a letter = 21
8 = J = Move a letter = 3
5 = E = Hidden word = 20
6 = F = Missing word = 22
12 = Q = Compound words = 4
13 = R = Make a word = 5
20 = O = Complete the word =
- Change one letter of a word to fit between 2 other
words (BEAT → BEAD → READ) = 6
- Small words from a longer one = 14
- anagrams/ unjumble letters = 19

Word Meaning

2 = B = Related words = 10
- Groups of related words = 11
10 = M = Word connections = 2
4 = D = Closest meaning = 7
16 = H = Opposite meaning = 7
21 = S = Same meaning =
- Odd one out = 12
- Sequence: put words in order of size or position = 13
- Choosing correct word to finish a sentence = 18
- Two words changed places = 1

Maths

7 = G = Letters for numbers =
17 = I = Complete the sum = 25, 27
11 = P = Number series = 26
18 = K = Related numbers = 28

Reading Information

15 = Z = Reading information = 23, 29,24, 31, 30

I have just gone through the Susan Daughtrey multiple guess Pack 2 and can confirm that every IPS type question is represented and there are no extra question types in these 4 test papers, only the 21 types used by IPS/ GL/ Tutors etc. The wording for some of the introductions/examples for questions a slightly different to the IPS ones, but personally I don't think that is a bad thing at this stage. Hope that helps.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Fruit Salad

Susan daughtrey books 1 - 4 cannot be compared usefully to the 21 types of questions as used by most parts of the country. They use 35 plus types and in standard form. Most schools/authorities use Multiple Choice. Those that are similar to the 21 are just that similar, many do not follow the same rules. Multiple Choice methods also differ to standard rules.

What part of the country/ school are you looking at.

If you need the 21 types, use IPS, The Tutors, Walsh and Madeleine Guyon. Susan Daughtrey packs of 4 tests [ x 2] also use the correct 21 types.

Patricia
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

Appreciate your concern, wouldn't want to cause confusion.

Some parents find that using Susan Daughtrey books 1 - 4 can introduce the various themes, breaking up the more difficult types into smaller steps. Personally I prefer this method, and have adopted it as the first step for both my children. In addition, I find starting with the standard version of question types gives a more solid grounding in understanding the questions and logical thought processes needed, we will be moving on to multiple choice, but I'd rather be prepared for either.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Fruit Salad

Of course you can use whatever method suits your circumstances.

However just to make it clear to new parents if your school/area uses a VR test using the 21 types in Multiple Choice, Susan daughtry 1 - 4 is largely irrelevant. Parents would be wasting their time and money, teaching incorrect standard methods, covering questions that are not appropriate and those that are of some relevancy are not always set out in the correct way.

IPS have produced a Method and Technique book showing how to approach each question. Publishers that are relevant are as in my post above.

Teaching the correct methods and types of questions will leave time to cover any other disciplines your area may use. In addition it will allow your child to use the time on developing other pursuits.

Patricia
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

I've bought Susan Daughtry books and planned to use them to introduce DD to VR in preparation for the Bexley and Kent Tests. Do you think they are inappropriate? If so, what prepartion materials would be best?

Thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Muggle

Susan daughtrey books 1- 4 and are only useful to areas using standard form or where a school might write their own papers.

Kent is Mutiple Choice by NFER, therefore the papers I have mentioned in my post above are the most relevant.

If you have not used your books, try to get a refund or exchange.

Patricia
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I don't know if my input will be helpful or not but it is offered in the spirit of support and encouragement. When dd sat 11+ in Warwickshire our exam changed from Standard Format to Multiple choice/Standard Format mix. I was one of a few to pick up on this straight away and I remarked upon the change to our tutor. She simply responded not to worry, that MC was easier than SF. Thank goodness I managed to explain to dd that the consequence of the change would be that timing was of the essence and not to worry if she didn't answer ever question but at the same time to loose no time in dithering over any given answer.

As it happened such advice was prophetic and almost all candidates failed to answer all questions. Some were phased by the different exam format and did much worse as a result. To add to the stress the exam was very badly invigilated. There was clear attempts to cheat and those candidates sitting near open windows were frozen (dd's hands were as ice) those sitting near the PA were unable to completely understand the recorded instructions. In dd's case she comfortably passed for the Grammar school.

So I let my worries about the poorly conducted exam pass. I would urge you to realise what a pressure the time constraints are. MC may be easier when you know one of the given answers is correct compared to simply needing to know the answer with no hints, but time is everything and in the new format there was no going back over the answers as you were not allowed to open the previous answer books!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now