What is your view for having a television in your DC own bed

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
essex-mum18

What is your view for having a television in your DC own bed

Post by essex-mum18 »

Recently, my Y8 son asked if he could have a television in his own bed room because so many of his friends have one.......

My answer is that 'No, DS because you do not need one in your bedroom. I have no TV in my room. The bedroom is for relaxation and rest. If you want to watch TV, go to the lounge instead'

Do you think I am too strict ? Your view is welcome.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I don't think you're being too strict. However...

Both mine DO have them and they have never once abused the priviledge. In fact, my daughter rarely watches hers. Son uses his for gaming (probably another 'no no'!!)

My two use their bedroom for most of their 'play'. They are not just rest rooms. They both sleep well.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

NO!! If I did put one in his room I fear I would never see him!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I don't think you're too strict - you don't want it in there, that's your choice.

I think my dc's rooms are their private sanctuaries - somewhere to go to be on their own, do what they want to do, watch what they want to watch and somewhere to 'chill out'. I also think IF a tv is allowed in a dc's bedroom people have to be really strict about ensuring it is off in good time (and not turned back on again once dastardly parents have gone back downstairs :shock: ). Having said all that, we cannot get a tv signal in dd's bedroom so she doesn't have it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Re: What is your view for having a television in your DC own

Post by Chelmsford mum »

essex-mum18 wrote:Recently, my Y8 son asked if he could have a television in his own bed room because so many of his friends have one.......

My answer is that 'No, DS because you do not need one in your bedroom. I have no TV in my room. The bedroom is for relaxation and rest. If you want to watch TV, go to the lounge instead'

Do you think I am too strict ? Your view is welcome.
I am in the same place as you and my two oldest are yr 7 and yr 9.I am not sure it would necessarily affect relaxation maybe it would for my eldest who doesn't need much sleep.
.My reasons are different. I find that even the trailers for some programmes are explicit/ scary after 8 pm.I understand that it is possible to "lock" tvs after a certain time but I would still worry about the content of what they are watching.
I also think that teenagers can become quite moody at times and this can express itself in wanting to withdraw from other people.A t.v in the room gives another incentive to withdraw.
Of course they need their space and my 14 year old will go up and read or draw but she is tempted back down if there is something she wants to watch.We also have some opportunities to discuss some very unexpected issues by watching t.v together.I don't think some of those conversations would necessarily occur naturally.

I think this will be an interesting thread because everyone is different re this but that's just where I am with it.Interestingly they don't ask since about yr 6 because I made it quite clear it was a total no no and explained why.
KB

Post by KB »

Think it depends a bit if there is another room besides main family living room where they can watch? While you have reponsibilty to limit viewing in terms of amount & subject matter, teenagers do have different tastes & a small amount of 'trash' of certain kinds probably wont hurt.
We have advantage of children's chill out room that they share & is 'public' so TV is in there - none in bedrooms.
I would be worried about being it being watched instead of studying/sleeping if in bedroom - big temptation!
Milla

Post by Milla »

Personally it's a no. Not only am I too mean to fund the aerials but I want to see my boys about the place. We only have one tv as a family but survive. We use an old one for the wii - both complain it's too small, tough, it was our family tv til less than a year ago.
My other concern is knowing just how addictive screen time is :oops: :?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I suppose some of it comes down to trust.
Also, my children (currently) do not have another room, other than our one lounge.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

'No, DS because you do not need one in your bedroom. I have no TV in my room.
I am going to use this excuse when they ask me! :D My boys have a Wii in their room but the TV is not connected to the aerial.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I have always said no to TVs in bedrooms, we don't have one in ours. Oldest however had a summer job when he was sixteen and saved uo to buy himself one, so I couldn't really say no to that.
I realise though we are lucky in that we have 2 rooms with tvs in, so usually watching 2 things at the same time isn't a problem, it may have been different if we only had the one room. The second room though has to be used for the wii too, sometimes therer might be a conflict too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now