Latymer hopefuls tutored.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

karen

Latymer hopefuls tutored.

Post by karen »

My Son is in year 5, sitting for Latymer in October 2007. After talking with a few parents I realise so many children have tutors. Am I the only one that hasn't got my son a tutor? Surely he should get in to the school on his own merit and not by being pushed. If these children have to work so hard to get in won't they struggle to keep up once they are there.
hugh

Post by hugh »

I certainly think some tutoring/practise is a good idea - for tactics, confidence and timing.

But I agree that over-coaching is silly.

Either the child would pass without such excessive drilling (in which case wasting money and effort), or they'll scape through and struggle thereafter (as you suggested) or will fail anyway, and feel all the worse for doing so after having such intensive tutoring.

DIY - with help from this forum!
Darren

Post by Darren »

I do think having a good tutor who knows the Bucks Exam, and can push your child is a big big benefit.

I probably know more about the Bucks tests and what is required than some tutors but my daughter is NOT motivated by me teaching her.

When she doesn't understand something she get's up and doesn't listen, and I get fustrated easily... So I'm not a good tutor.

If you feel you can DIY then I'd go for it...

Post by Guest »

I think tutoring for the 11+ (whether it be diy or otherwise) is essential these days to give your child a fair chance. Just as you said, there are lots of others being tutored and I do think that it is the norm for children to have some form of tutoring NOT an exception! So, to be fair to your child you HAVE to give them some tuition.

It would be great if children could be left to get in on their own merit but unfortunately because most people do tutor the pass mark is higher and unless you get on that same boat you are going to miss it so to speak!!
hugh

Post by hugh »

Anonymous wrote:because most people do tutor the pass mark is higher
No it's not. What you perhpas mean is that if most children are tutored it's harder for those that aren't tutored to be in the top 25% and thus get a "pass".

For fiarness, you either need all or none to be tutored - but life isn't fair.

I don't think tutoring is wrong, but I think overdoing it is counter-productive.
hugh

Post by hugh »

Anonymous wrote:because most people do tutor the pass mark is higher
No it's not. What you perhpas mean is that if most children are tutored it's harder for those that aren't tutored to be in the top 25% and thus get a "pass".

For fiarness, you either need all or none to be tutored - but life isn't fair.

I don't think tutoring is wrong, but I think overdoing it is counter-productive.