How many passes altogether?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cairo

How many passes altogether?

Post by cairo »

Do you think that we could try to add up how many "pass" letters have actually been sent in total?

As we know, Pates sends 160 letters for 120 places.

STR had 250 boys pass for 108 places.

Crypt had "more than 200" pass for 112 places.

Don't know how many passed for Marling (but do know that with 232 marks my DS1 came 151st and they have 120 places.) Anyone got better info on that?

I don't have any info on the girls' schools. Perhaps someone with DDs could enlighten me?

If for the moment we assume Crypt & Marling both had 250 passes, that would mean the 4 schools above would have sent 910 letters for 460 places i.e. roughly double. Obviously some people will have received 4 pass letters, some 3, 2 or 1. If on average people get 2 letters (does this seem reasonable?) then there'd be enough spaces for everyone! Hurrah! Of course, this does assume that people are completely flexible about which GS their child goes to - which obviously not everyone is...

Anyone know on average how many people each year decide not to take up a place at all (going private, moving house etc)?
Tiggymum

Post by Tiggymum »

I know that Ribston had 278 passed

Stroud High told me over the phone that 500 girls were considered for SHS but 288 sat the test on the day

Hope that helps which figures

All I know is that sometimes you think it looks bleak for your child but I think that once everyone has made there minds up the lists will be a lot smaller - anyway gives me hope that 61 people will drop out of SHS please
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Think we might be being ambitious but can't hurt to try .....

figures for girls schools are:

Denmark Road - 233 passed for 116 places (+appeal places?)
Ribston - 278 passed for 114 places (+appeal places?)
Stroud High School - 120 places (DD in top 120 but no idea how many others passed)

Hope that helps!
Tiggymum

Post by Tiggymum »

But if 50% of Stroud High top 120 were girls who did not sit the exam there, that would suggest that it was not there first preference and if they are in the top 120 at SHS they are most likely to be in the top 120 of their chosen preferred school. Also that is before any natural drop outs like change of mind, scholarships etc so I think bearing in mind having spoken to Ribston and SHS myself on MOnday when the school both expressed that this year, most parents have ticked 4 schools to be considered for, there is going to be a huge movement on 1st March. Comparing it to last year is not possible because there was not the same amount of pupils being considered for so many schools. In effect I suppose it could all be the same 120 pupils for each school !!!
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Absolutely!
We received 4 pass letters so hold 1 place at each but really only put SHS for info - so there's one place closer for you!
Also we have decided on Pate's so DR & RH numbers also less one.
March 1st is going to be a very 'shifting' day - good luck to all.
Tiggymum

Post by Tiggymum »

I don't think that any parent whose child has at least qualified is being ambitious to hope that there is big big movement - to be honest I wouldnt be surprised if this system is changed in the next few years because it has skewed the results (I work in statistics and forecasts) to give a less then helpful result for the limbo land children who should be pleased to at least qualify but instead feel like they have failed. I for one will Appeal if my daughter does not get into a school 3 miles down the road when she has more than just scraped in.
langkawilucy

Post by langkawilucy »

Its so sad when my DD got three passes and feels that she hasnt done very well because she is in limbo and wants to know. All she hears is that there are other girls in her year who have got higher marks than her which doesnt help. A very odd system which is not good for childrens self esteem!
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

225 passed for Marling out of a possible 360
Tiggymum

Post by Tiggymum »

langkawilucy wrote:Its so sad when my DD got three passes and feels that she hasnt done very well because she is in limbo and wants to know. All she hears is that there are other girls in her year who have got higher marks than her which doesnt help. A very odd system which is not good for childrens self esteem!
I do really feel for you because my DD is the same they just cannot see how well she actually did do in the end, all she sees is the same children with 4 top 120 letters and I try to explain the statistics of how it works but she is negative about it....
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Worthwhile hanging in there Tiggymum. SHS did go down to the 180's last year but this didn't happen until about May/June.
Hard to hold your nerve until then but it did pay off for some.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now