advice needed!

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
atmum

advice needed!

Post by atmum »

hello, im new to all this and just wondering if someone can advise me on my dilemma. we live in harrow and my son will be sitting the 11+ for watford grammar next year,application for 2011, we are starting with bond assessment papers (level 3) for both vr and maths. His teacher has graded him at 4a and thinks he will be a good candidate,however i am worried that with a harrow postcode all this will be a waste! As not many boys are accepted from outside watford.( Even though our postcode is on the outer area list). What percentage of boys actually get in from the outer area? I am worrying as another teacher at his school has told me that it is pointless applying with our postcode and if we really want to get him in we should move address!!! As lots of 'high achievers' from his school/area didnt get in last year, her words not mine. She has really put me off and am starting to think is this preparation worth it when the odds are so low?? Any advise is greatly appreciated!
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

It might be worth phoning Watford Schools admissions and perhaps asking them for the furthest distance a place was allocated last year, that would give you an idea of how tight the catchment area is and also ask about waiting lists etc.
I too live in Harrow but our postcode did not allow us to sit the exam, however the people I do know whose kids go there - they did actually move closer to t.

Do you have a backup plan? ie would you go independent if your DC didn't get into Watford Grammar? If so then sit the exam and hope for the best - you never know you might be lucky! Things might be a bit more complicated if you are considering local High School as then you have dilema of what order to put your choice of schools down.

Sorry I can't be any more help.
WP

Post by WP »

Distance won't come into it; for the tests the question is whether your postcode is in catchment.

The most recent figures I can find are for the September 2004 and 2005 entries (from old governors' reports). In those years, 249 out of 599 and 255 out of 568 applicants were from the outer area. Last year there were 694 applications (according to the school prospectus - the Herts booklet says 750 - perhaps the difference is applications from outside both areas), and this year a bit more than that. So there are probably somewhere between 250 and 300 applicants from the outer area. Take away up to 20 brothers of boys already at the school, and the rest are competing for 18 academic places and 7 music places. Not all those who are offered places will take them though: they may be applying to several schools and prefer Parmiter's, QE Barnet, Bucks grammars or selective independent schools.

So it's tough, but not impossible. Coolmum's advice about backup plans seems appropriate.
atmum

Post by atmum »

thank you both for the information and advice, this has made a few things clearer, i have one other question if thats ok, bond assessment books for vr and maths, am i on the right track? third books upwards?
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

Well, I wish you and your DS the best of luck atmum but I do hope the teacher who gave you advice about addresses meant actually move into the area permanently and not go down the short term renting route! Similarly that those parents that Coolmum knows are still living in the 'local' rather than the 'traditional' area.
SN

Post by SN »

I live in Harrow too and I was told by Watford Grammar that I could sit the test, but would not be offered a place. This was last year. Atmum I think its best if you call up the school to make things clear. I am not trying to put you off but after all the hard work you dont want to be dissapointed.
atmum

Post by atmum »

thank you sn, valuable advice, will call the school to see exactly where we stand. Fingers crossed. What other schools did you consider?
WP

Post by WP »

SN wrote:I live in Harrow too and I was told by Watford Grammar that I could sit the test, but would not be offered a place.
It depends on your postcode. Their outer catchment includes HA3 6, HA5 1-5, HA6 1-3 and HA7 3-4, but not other Harrow addresses. If you're inside the area there's a chance; outside there's none.
atmum

Post by atmum »

i know, am in accepted postcode and the teacher who put me off knows this so was wondering what kind of chance?
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'm not in your area, but this time last year my son was starting the practice work (is in y6 now) and was on the end of Bond fourth, going on to fifth. I'd shimmy through third PDQ if I were you and get onto 4th. People say they're irrelevant in our area, at least, but our tutor was keen on them (and gets good results) and I think that varying the format and making them think what the answer is before moving onto multiple choice technique (if relevant in your area??) is all valuable practice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now