What can I do for academic evidence?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Weepingwillow

What can I do for academic evidence?

Post by Weepingwillow »

Hi,

I feel I'm thinking like a headless chicken at the moment and am in a constant state of panic. I've posted some background issues to this and would be grateful for any advice as to what I can do to boost our appeal chances.
I'm also unsure as to what I need to show as evidence. Do I just show his school maths and English exercise books? What else can I do?

His academic summary is: -
Attained VR 118 and 115 in the 11+
School VR scores of 125 (=95th percentile) in 2008, and 122 (=93rd percentile) in 2009
At end of Year 5 his results were: - Maths 5c (school report gave him '1's in all areas), English Reading 5, Writing 4b, Speaking 4b, Listening 5
Predicted level 5s for KS2 in English, Maths and Science
Top group for Maths and English
Highly recommended by the HT as a 2:2

He also had an EP report done in Year 3 because his teacher felt he was exceptional at Maths but only average at English and wondered if there was a reason for this. We're not sure whether or not to include this as it shows some very good points but also weakish areas.

The results were (at the time he was age 7.4):

Receptive Vocab: - Age 7, Std 95, Centile 37
Non verbal Reas: - 11.3-11.9; 125; 95 (actually he completed exercise 100% accurately but she didn't have a harder test to give him)
Short Term Memory 15; 135; 99
Single Word Reading 7.0; 96; 37
Single Word Spelling 7.7; 100-105; 50-63
Text reading 10.6; 120

Is this worth including?

Generally, we think he is very bright but with some key weak areas (vocab) but there is a medical explanation for this. Should we admit this?

Thanks for any help :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Weepingwillow

Welcome - and thanks for the information you emailed. I see no reason why everything you've mentioned should not be included (even the background to the level of support from the school, if that should turn out to be bland).

118 is a respectable score, and you have good alternative academic evidence.

I also think you have valid extenuating circumstances. Your son has done extremely well in the circumstances.

I would include the EP report and explain why it was done. Say that you realise it's a bit dated, but you're including it in case it's of any help to the panel.

With regard to choice of GS, I think you could mention that you've taken the precaution of discussing what might be possible. It's important to acknowledge, however, that you do understand the appeal panel cannot consider any particular GS at this stage.

If you would like us to put you privately in touch with a mum whose son has a similar condition, and who successfully went through an appeal in another authority last year, please let me know. I'm sure she'd be happy to support you.

Also please let me know if I've overlooked any of your questions.

I think you have already put together an excellent case. Your head is well screwed on - you're definitely not a headless chicken! :lol:
Etienne
Weepingwillow

Post by Weepingwillow »

Etienne, thank you so much for your quick but full response - I'm feeling calmer already!

I would definitely like to take you up on your fantastic offer - not just for the appeal but also because, so far, my only source of info on his condition has been from doctors and articles on the internet.

Thanks again

Much happier :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You're welcome. :)

I'll ask the other mum if she'll send you a PM. (Are you familiar with PMs? You'll need to keep an eye at the bottom of the page where it says at the moment "You have no new messages". Alternatively, you may have signed up in your profile for an alert, in which case you should get an automatic notification).

Do come back to us if you have any questions.
Etienne
Weepingwillow

Post by Weepingwillow »

Hello again!

We've sent off the appeal forms (what a nightmare!) but haven't pointed out that DS is the youngest in his year (very end of August birthday) and yet works well in all the top groups. Reading other recent posts I think that this was a mistake. :oops: Presumably we can mention it in our presentation to the panel but do you think this is something we need to give more than just a mention?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Don't worry - you don't have to put everything in your written case.

The panel will probably spot an August birthday anyway, but it's worth a brief mention.

I wouldn't overdo it, unless there's supporting academic evidence to show recent maturity / rapid progress - in other words, there's a case for saying that the 11+ came a few months too early.
Etienne
Weepingwillow

Post by Weepingwillow »

Help! D-Day is looming and I'm really now starting to panic. Please can I have some more of your incredibly invaluable advice?

The good news is that I have now received a very comprehensive and supportive letter from DS's teacher who says that he should achieve level 5a in both his English and Maths SATs. The bad news is that when I had a peek at his exercise books at school, there is very little work in them (what have they been doing?) and although his handwriting is beautiful, his spelling is diabolical and some of the content isn't great. All-in-all they are decidedly unimpressive and don't seem to back-up the 5a assessment.

I do have his year 5 books which are full and have some great comments in them (if you happen to find them) but I am worried that they will take one look at his latest work and make their decision (not the one I want). I think they must have been doing a lot of work on loose paper but would this be OK to submit?

Also, I have had an EP perform a WRIT on DS. Etienne, please can I PM you with a summary as I'm unsure as to whether this will help or hinder us.

Thank you!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Weepingwillow

Current exercise books aren't always available because they're in use. You could ask the panel if they wish to see the year 5 books.

It's not a requirement to show school work, though.
Also, I have had an EP perform a WRIT on DS. Etienne, please can I PM you with a summary as I'm unsure as to whether this will help or hinder us.
It's not possible to PM me, I'm afraid, but you're welcome to try the Appeals Box.
Etienne
Weepingwillow

Post by Weepingwillow »

OOps! Will do. Thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for sending in the information. I've been considering it off and on throughout the day, and have been wavering!

On balance I probably wouldn't use it.

The EP might think it worth using for the extenuating circumstances (language disorder), but you already have a lot of extenuating circumstances.

I also think you would want to make the point about how much progress has been made (level 5 Reading at end of year 5, top set for English, now engrossed in books for the first time in his life). My feeling is that you don't want to risk shifting the focus on to the latest one-off reading test.

Just my view!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now