Another of my random questions

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Another of my random questions

Post by Chelmsford mum »

After all your help with the breakfast crisis :roll: , I have another question for you......
My year 7 daughter was going tonight to a friends for tea/ the evening.She is usually in by 4 10.The girl lives a 15 min walk away.As it happened bus was late and she wasn't in till 4.30.She rang her friend to say that she would be leaving at 4.40.I received a call from the child's Mum who seemed aghast at the idea that my daughter was walking.(Hubby takes car to walk)She even mentioned coming to get her but I know she has little ones so I declined politely.
She left, kept to the busy, well lit route she always does and texted me to say she was there in under 15 mins.
However it got me thinking.Am I taking risks? She arrives home when it is dark so I suppose I didn't see a difference.
However I have noticed, since we moved here, a difference in attitude re letting your children walk places.Where we lived before, similarly suburban, it seemed more "acceptable".
Last summer another mother told my daughter that we were "so irresponsible" letting her walk back from a summer fete in broad daylight.(same journey)
Please be honest.Maybe I am being too relaxed :?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It's difficult to say without knowing your area but in broad daylight I definitely don't see what the problem is. Of course I come from an environment where we would disappear for 8 hours in the summer holidays and come back filthy and starving. I think anytime before 7pm is fine when it's dark but I may be a little worried after that but agin it depends on your location.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Was the mother aghast from a road safety point of view, or personal safety?

From what you say, your daughter is obviously road aware and safe in that respect. Also, you took sensible precautions in that you knew your daughter's route, departure time and expected arrival time.

I'll be honest, I probalby wouldnt personally let her walk alone by herself, but woudl feel happier if there were two of them, especially if its getting dark.

Then again, I used to live in an area of lower/middle and upper schools. The middle school kids always walked to school. Middle schools start at year 5 so if I still lived there, I probably would let them walk.

Sorry, I've just contradicted myself!

I guess then on certain routes and certain situations, when you know expected arrivial/departure times/routes and you know your child has road sense, then it would be fine.

(Incidently, I let random questions. They make you think!)
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi CM

Obviously I don't know exactly what it is like where you live but given that it is a busy and well lit route I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all. I let my Y6 and Y8 DDs come back in the dark although it does depend where from and at what time. I, like you, ask for a text on arrival and do begin to panic if it does not arrive as expected but really, I just don't think we can wrap them up in cotton wool forever.

My neighbour however completely disagrees with me and picks her Y6 son up from school (literally 50 yards down the street) daily. On arriving home he then goes out onto the road on his bike with no helmet and nearly gets knocked down by every passing 'late mum' who has decided the driving in London is a sane way to pick up children from school. I sit in my office daily watching this and wincing at the sight of it. However, whenever we chat she berates me for letting my daughter walk home from school unaccompanied apart from at least half of the other 500 children leaving school.

We all draw the line in different places and make some pretty weird shapes with it.
mad?
mad?

Post by mad? »

yuk on re-reading that I feel obliged to point out that 'my office' is the box room above the front door...
mad?
moved

Post by moved »

I think this is normal behaviour.

My children walked to school in France when they were 6 and 7. Had I driven them they would have been very abnormal in the community.

I have been looking at where DC will have to walk through when we rent and this is part of my decision process. Those rather striking grammar school uniforms do stand out and I do not want them to experience problems.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Maybe I do need to think twice :(
Having her come in from school when it is dark has lulled me into a false sense of security ..maybe :? The road that is 2/3 of the journey is incredibly well lit, shops, etc and the remaining 1/3 is long avenue but again well lit.
The other parent's concern was personal not road safety but if I thought too much along those lines...I would home school.She makes a dark journey everyday now it is Winter.
One thing is for sure the other mum's reaction tells me that she at least thought we were taking risks.
However all the children in that year(except mine) went to the local school and none of them have a child getting a bus or getting home later than 3.40.

Oh I don't know still.......... :(
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

moving wrote: I have been looking at where DC will have to walk through when we rent and this is part of my decision process. Those rather striking grammar school uniforms do stand out and I do not want them to experience problems.
Do pm me moving.I know the areas quite well now....
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks I will. Not looking until we get Wednesday out of the way. Not trusting our buyer.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I think the fact that your DDs friends all go to a local school perhaps means that their parents have not had to confront this issue yet?
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now