Bucks appeal question

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ohmum!

Bucks appeal question

Post by ohmum! »

Hi
I've never posted here before but have been reading all the threads and advice with huge admiration to everyone who goes through "the system".

My DS got 114 and 117 in the tests and I realise an appeal is a tall order since we don't have much in the way of mitigating circumstances.

My specific question is whether it is relevant mention that DS spent Yr5 being taught in class with 20 Yr4 children (school has several mixed aged classes due 40 children in each year group - classes determined by age - DS has mid-july birthday). I felt this held him back, particularly in the development of his vocabulary. I have a letter I wrote to the school about it last May. Is this a valid argument - or would I be undermining our assertions that despite the lack of challenge in Yr5, DS is predicted to get 5bs in SATS at end of Yr6?

Additional info:
Headteacher recommendation 2:1
School does not do CATS or Reading ages so additional academic evidence is somewhat sparce.
Predicted 5bs in SATS.
HT is supporting & class teacher will write in support
Gifted and talented for Maths and PE
School reports are good but written in a bland style (think they are all written that way)

Other thoughts:
Music teacher offered to write in support - achieved highest score teacher had ever known in music exam. (not sure if that will help)
Vicar has written in support explaining how DS showed outstanding abilities to understand and articulate the complex spiritual concepts covered during his Confirmation classes. (again not sure if this helps)
When in Yr5 DS was first child in whole school to achieve highest level in mental maths challenge (weekly tests at increasingly difficult levels) - is that relevant?

I wondered if anyone had any more suggestions for evidence of ability.

Many thanks in advance...
Ohmum!
Etienne

Re: Bucks appeal question

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
My specific question is whether it is relevant mention that DS spent Yr5 being taught in class with 20 Yr4 children (school has several mixed aged classes due 40 children in each year group - classes determined by age - DS has mid-july birthday). I felt this held him back, particularly in the development of his vocabulary. I have a letter I wrote to the school about it last May. Is this a valid argument - or would I be undermining our assertions that despite the lack of challenge in Yr5, DS is predicted to get 5bs in SATS at end of Yr6?
You've taken on board the point that, despite year 5 problems, your son is expected to get 5bs. I don't think it will undermine the KS2 predictions - it just doesn't help the argument that he's been disadvantaged by his English.

You've probably nothing to lose by expressing a bit of concern about maturity (July birthday) and vocabulary.

If you had some optional SATs tests in English from year 5, which were not quite so good, that could certainly support your case.
School does not do CATS or Reading ages so additional academic evidence is somewhat sparce.
The lack of any alternative evidence of reasoning ability could be a problem.
Gifted and talented for Maths and PE
You could try arguing that, although he's a good all rounder, he's particularly strong on the Maths side. (There's a bit of Maths in the VR, but not enough from his point of view! If Bucks had a NVR paper as well, it would probably have suited your son. Try suggesting this - but be careful not to appear critical or to attack the system!)
School reports are good but written in a bland style (think they are all written that way)
I'm afraid a lot of them are!
Other thoughts:
Music teacher offered to write in support - achieved highest score teacher had ever known in music exam. (not sure if that will help)
I think so. There's said to be a link between music, NVR and Maths. Might help the argument above.
Vicar has written in support explaining how DS showed outstanding abilities to understand and articulate the complex spiritual concepts covered during his Confirmation classes. (again not sure if this helps)
It might!
When in Yr5 DS was first child in whole school to achieve highest level in mental maths challenge (weekly tests at increasingly difficult levels) - is that relevant?
Yes!

Hope that helps a bit.

Good luck!
Etienne
ohmum!

Thanks

Post by ohmum! »

Etienne
Thanks for your prompt reply.

It's great to know there is help out there. You are all doing a grand job!

Off to start writing the statement...

OhMum!