12+ Late Transfer, Bucks 119, Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
turbovin13

12+ Late Transfer, Bucks 119, Appeal

Post by turbovin13 »

First of all thanks to Etienne & other Mods for their valued suggestions in my other thread.

I will try and be short in my story.

My wife had to move to Bucks area for work related issues in September & I couldn't.

As a result my son (currently in year 8 in a private school in a different County) had to prepare himself for a sudden move from his current school. As this was out of the blue, he was (and still is) quite upset with the decision to move.
Speaking to her colleagues at the new place, my wife found out that their children go to Grammar Schools. I called up the Bucks Council and they said a Late Transfer Exam is possible as there were free places in at least one of the Grammar Schools in Year 8 and applied for a Late Transfer Form.
Unfortunately for him the council arranged his Late Transfer exam on a day when his current school was conducting term exams - 3 days in a row, 3-4 papers a day. So he had to prepare for his School Exams based on the CET pattern and prepare for the VR exam in his spare time. The LT exam was held on day 2 of his school exam schedule. He was asked to sit for his missed school exams after the rest of his school was finished doing the exams – day 4. The whole idea that he had to study and sit for School Exams on day 1 then travel for 120 miles and sit for his VR exam then travel back 120 miles, study for his Day3 & Day 2 exams (in that sequence) stressed him out a lot.

He was awarded 119 considering his raw score & age standardisation (he is December born, so the age factor is against him). I am not saying that he is exceptionally brilliant or gifted, but is definitely not average considering the fact that he did not sit for 11 plus nor was he practicing VR.

We have spoken to the Council and they are sending us an Appeals pack, which we will duly fill up and send as early as possible.
Now the questions I have are -
1 The Headmaster of his current school is not aware of the appeal and I am not sure if he can contribute to appeal process. Will that be a negative for him? I could request for a letter from the Head, but it wouldn't be the same as other Heads who know the process.
2 He has no medical problems, so no letter from the GP, would that pose a problem?
3 He is quite good in Sports too and is on the School Football team. Is also good in Squash and has played on the School Rugby & Cricket teams too. Would mentioning this help?
4 Lastly, would it be possible to request for an appeal before the start of the Holiday season.

Our problem is he is out of a very good school this term end and has no (proper) school to go in the next term. An upper school hasn't be awarded to him automatically as the council has asked us to approach the schools directly.
Now the problem we have is (lack of)time, both the sets of parents in two different locations - seperated by a distace of 120 miles and no school and an age standardised score of 119.

We have gone through the section of Appeals in this forum and have taken pointers to formulate our appeal, but we would really appreciate any specific advice / help that would make this appeal a bankable proposition.

Thanks in advance.
vin
Sally-Anne

Re: 12+ Late Transfer, Bucks 119, Appeal

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi turbovin
1 The Headmaster of his current school is not aware of the appeal and I am not sure if he can contribute to appeal process. Will that be a negative for him? I could request for a letter from the Head, but it wouldn't be the same as other Heads who know the process.
The Head needs to write about your son's ability and his suitability for a grammar school education. It shouldn't really matter that he doesn't know the system in Bucks.
2 He has no medical problems, so no letter from the GP, would that pose a problem?
It is by no means the case that every appeal rests on medical evidence! Your mitigating circumstances are the proximity of the school exams, the travelling, etc.
3 He is quite good in Sports too and is on the School Football team. Is also good in Squash and has played on the School Rugby & Cricket teams too. Would mentioning this help?
No.
4 Lastly, would it be possible to request for an appeal before the start of the Holiday season.
It is very hard to tell when your appeal might happen, but I suggest that you call the Appeals department to ask. Obviously they can't schedule the date until you have submitted your form though.

Sally-Anne
turbovin13

Post by turbovin13 »

Thanks Sally Anne.

I will talk to his Head and try to get a letter before the end of the term.
vin
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Turbovin

sorry to hear about the upheavals... DS had to travel to do the 11 plus, similar sort of distance - I remember being worried about how it might affect things but in the end he fortunately did the bi.

What were your plans re his education if you hadn't moved? where you planning to sent him to a private senior school ? if so have you looked at the local options?
turbovin13

Post by turbovin13 »

Thanks very much for your concern.

Yes. I have spoken to his current Head and he wasn't too sure of the Private Sector in the Bucks area, though he is trying to find out through his network.

My wife's colleagues told her that because the State Selectives are so good in the Bucks area, the Private Sector is not that comparable.

I just hope my son gets a proper school on time. Its quite a distressing time for all of us.

Once again thanks.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

yes it can happen that where the selectives are good the private schools do not flourish as much... here in Skipton it is quite a long way to a private school ... Bradford Harrogate or Gigg - all 20 miles ish.

However if you are worried about finding a school that you will be happy with it may well help to go and have a look yourself, I am sure the posters on the forum will be able to give you advice about specific places
turbovin13

Post by turbovin13 »

Thanks for understanding.

I am quite keen for him to attend the Grammar as he is friends with my wife's collegeaus' children who attend these schools.

New place, new school, at least a few familiar faces would make it a bit bearable, hopefully.

That's the reason behind the push for Grammar.
vin
turbovin13

Post by turbovin13 »

One more thing I realised is that his current school doesn't do SATs.

On academic front, they always do the next year's topics in the current year,(Year 9 topics in Year 8) so the results aren't what are expected from an Year 8 student.

So I have no idea how I am going to prove his academic credentials.

Also, his reading age? How does one certify as what kind of books is he reading? I know the books he is reading are beyong his age, but there is no way that can be vouched for by an authority.
vin
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

most schools do a "reading age" test, do you know if his school has any records of this? There are also some reading age tests you can download to give yourself an idea :wink:
turbovin13

Post by turbovin13 »

Thanks for your tip. Will find out straight away.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now