to move or not

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
another mother

to move or not

Post by another mother »

If many of your best friends are moving for sixth form, in search of co-ed and a change. or for financial reasons, is staying at your very excellent but fairly small sixth form (who really want you to stay) a risk? I'm slightly concerned that if too many girls go, the sixth form may feel denuded and although new girls will join, that it won't be as sparky as it could be and perhaps too cosy to be a great preparation for the outside world. on the other hand DD is very happy currently and I'm confident will continue to do very well academically and to be involved in running the school.

The other options are a boys indie, where she now has a scholarship, or a reasonable chance of getting into state options - which will be fun socially and more real, but without some of the rigour perhaps. We won't know about them for some time. The indies of course need a decision imminently!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think I would stay..
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

What does your dd want to do? :)
KB

Post by KB »

I think it depends alot on whether you feel that your DD needs to get the wider experience at school or whether she has that through other means eg sporting, musical, Scouting groups outside of school.
If you are worried about her being able to cope at University then the move would seem sensible - if this 'life experience' can be achieved some other way then I would say stay put.
AS modules come along very quickly & if she doesn't have to adjust to a new school then she can 'hit the ground running'.
You mentioned about the size of the current Sixth Form which could raise a question about level of study if groups are very small but you seem happy about academic performance so I'm guessing this isn't a problem.
If you decide on a change then maybe one step at a time would be better? So a move to a co-ed Indie 6th form en-route to Uni rather than the potentially greater leap from Girls only Indie to Co-ed state school?
My feeling is that change at this stage can just lead to unhelpful distractions unless there is a very specific reason for it.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

KB makes a very good point that a slight change would be better than a major change. Remember though that a London indie is far more edgy and possibly has more of a real world feel than a lovely GS or comp in a very affluent rural area. I have often worried about my kids living in the real world but then I look at very successful individuals that we know who always went through the private school system and it has never harmed them.

As DD has been awarded a scholarship to this co-ed inde they will expect very high standards from the start and this could mean a lot of added pressure whilst she is learning the ropes and trying to form friendships, learn to be in a classroom environment with boys etc.

Often the grass is not greener and I should know! :wink:
dinah

Post by dinah »

Why are the other girls leaving? Are the reasons they give valid? They wouldn't be leaving without their parents' support ,I would imagine.Is your daughter on a promise of a prefect position if she stays?
another mother

Post by another mother »

Thanks to you all for replies

In brief - DD is inclined to stay and certainly has been very happy - but doesn't want to be the only one of her gang left - and therefore to feel a bit too safe. She also has very good friends in the state sector and doesn't like feel privilged particularly. At the same time she has clearly fitted in very happily to the academic/extra curricular culture and got a great deal out of it.

Girls are leaving because they want a change/boys! Some for financial reasons, more for the co-ed I'd say. All the options are pretty good - top 50 indies or good state. Some have been there since 7 rather than 11. Some want even more prestigious school of which Tipsy is fond! (we couldn't begin to afford that!)

She does get out! - has friends in other schools and debates etc - but it isn't quite the same as shared teaching. On the other hand sixth form is going to go by very quickly and she is aware that as a girl who works to deadlines or beyond, that she is certainly distractable! I do take the point that she is a metropolitan girl too - and quite able to get herself about the city. Which might make up for some of the sheltered aspects of staying.
Jed

Post by Jed »

You and your daughter should also be aware that this is the time of year when many Year 11 students think about moving schools for the 6th form. At my daughter's girl's grammar, most of her friends said they were going to move for the 6th form, but in the end only a few actually did. The idea of moving is appealing to 15/16 year olds but the reality (subject choices/travel/cost etc.) doesn't always match up.

Jed
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

We found the same thing as jed when DD1 was in year 11. Many of her friends were very keen on going elsewhere until they saw just how many other girls wanted the sixth form places they were about to vacate! Again, very few left in the end.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sample of one - goddaughter moved this year for various reasons, from indie to state, small to large. She absolutely loves it - settled in no time and is working at a level which is probably higher than she was before. That said, there are other factors - she is closer to home for a start. Very few left her old school but she made friends quickly. She recently visited her old school and said it felt like a very false environment now - cosy indie versus slightly rough round the edges state.

Depends on the child, depends on the proximity of the schools and the courses on offer. At 16 your DD will no doubt have views, though I have to say my GD did not want to move but is now glad she did.

Good luck, big decision!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now