1o year old L3 enshgli

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
4teen

1o year old L3 enshgli

Post by 4teen »

My 10 year old obtained a level 3 at the end of year 5 in english. she is finding reading/spelling really hard. her teacher said from year 2 to year 5 she only moved 1 level. Can anyone advise please.
What can I do to help her. I want her to do well in her KS2 sats.
Where do I start ???
:? Thanks
4teen
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

is she receiving any extra help at school? If she has made little progress in 3 years then they should have raised some concerns. It may be worth asking if they could assess her to see if she has any specific difficulties.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

what sub level was it ie. 3a 3b 3c - also do you know what she acheived in her end of year 2 sats in english? :)
4teen

Post by 4teen »

Thank you both for your replies. DD obtained a 2b in year 2. I know she was a bit lacking with the reading ang spellings. I kept on telling the sch of my concern. I was told that she is working at a expected level. She moved school last half term of year 4. now in year 6 and her current teacher tells me that she obtained a 3b in English at the end of year 5. This means that from year 2 to year 5 she has only moved 1 level. The teacher than said that she is hoping for her to move a whole level this year. :? I can't understand what happened there because i was always told that she is working at the expected level
4teen
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have sent you a PM
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

I feel your dd should have been flagged up for not improving much over a long period of time. But because of the change of school she may have been forgotten about. I think you really need to have a meeting with them to find out how they intend to help your child reach her predicted levels and ask what topics they will be covering this year so you can support her at home or if you can afford it use a tutor or group tutor session.

My dd was a 2a at maths in year2 and was a level 3c at the end of year 4! Not much movement there! I worked with her year 5 teacher to get her to a level 4b by the end of year 5, so it can be done. Good luck :!: :)
4teen

Post by 4teen »

You are right tiredmum,
I wish I picked it up in year 5 like yourself. Someone has sent me a fantastic link to a website. I will try that and if not try find a good tutor.

Thank you
4teen
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now