re:raw scores and appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dorothy11

re:raw scores and appeals

Post by dorothy11 »

Hi My son missed the Bucks. 11+ by 1. I sent off for his raw scores which shows he got 70/80. Not as good as he was meant to get, had been getting nearly all right, but always does badly in exams.
We did some practice papers at home and he got over 85% normally over 90% at home. I thought that with 85% he would be fine. He is a September Birthday so I knew the standardization would be tough. He actually got 87.5% and did not pass. Is that usual or is that a tougher standardization than previously. Really I am now thinking I let him down as should have practiced more with him as he really needed to be getting 95% plus at home so that even if he panicked in the actual test (which he did) he may still have got 90% which it seems he would have needed to pass. Should I submit his raw score at the appeal or is it not helpful? Would 87.5% be considered a good result? He has been given a 1,1, by his school.
Thanks....
Hope

Post by Hope »

Thanks for posting Dorothy, thats really interesting, my DS is also a Sept birthday and got 119 in both papers. I think the standarisation seems quite high, but I am no expert so it will be interesting to see what the experts have to say.

I think I read somewhere else that the appeals panel will know the raw score if you requested it, although I am not 100% sure where I read this and cannot find it now.

good luck for your appeal
dorothy11

Post by dorothy11 »

Hi Hope

The whole thing seems a bit confusing to me.
Then with his 2nd paper which he only got 116 on he had a raw score of 66/80 which is still 83%ish. I can only assume the papers were standardized differently as it seems he lost just over 2 standardization points on his 2nd paper the 120 one and the dropped 4 more raw points on the 1st paper but only lost 4 standardization marks?? Did you appeal?

D
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Just checked old forum posts and it seems (from the post I found) that when requesting a remark/analysis from Bucks they then informed the Appeal Panel, who will receive a copy.

Sally-Anne/Etienne may be able to clarify this.
Heartmum x x x
Hope

Post by Hope »

Hi Dorothy11

Yes we have submitted the papers for an appeal so we are waiting to hear when it will be.

Good luck with your appeal

Hope
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi dorothy11
heartmum wrote:Just checked old forum posts and it seems (from the post I found) that when requesting a remark/analysis from Bucks they then informed the Appeal Panel, who will receive a copy.

Sally-Anne/Etienne may be able to clarify this.
That is correct.

Dorothy, I have sent you a Private Message. Check the blue line at the bottom of any Forum page and click on "You have 1 new message" to retrieve it.

Sally-Anne
Hangi

Post by Hangi »

Hi Dorothy,
Noticed your message re raw scores.

So, your Sept born DS got 116 and 66/80 on his 2nd test. My Oct born DS, got 115 and 66/80 on his 2nd test.

Can anyone explain how in the same test, the same score of 66/80 could result in a lower standardised score for a younger student?
dorothy11

Post by dorothy11 »

Hi I made a mistake he got 116 in first test with 66/80 and 120 in second with 70/80

Sorry....
dorothy11

Post by dorothy11 »

Hi

Forgot to say the first test and second test were not standardised the same.They can't have been as my son dropped 4 more raw points in 1st test yet actually dropped only 4 more standardization points for it. Whereas in the 2nd test he lost over 2 standardized points per question he got wrong i.e got 10 wrong and lost 21 standardization points!!??
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would 87.5% be considered a good result?
If I recall correctly, Patricia has suggested a practice target of 90% to be on the safe side.

I suspect an appeal panel wouldn't have a view about 87.5%, as in the vast majority of cases they see only the standardised scores (not raw marks or percentages).
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now