Working out on VR Question Booklet ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KP

Working out on VR Question Booklet ?

Post by KP »

Does any one know if VR exams for Redbridge allow childern to do working out on the question booklet. In the NVR exams the invigilator did not allow any working out on the booklet.

My DS sat for the Essex exams and he was allowed to do the working out on the question booklet. As both these exams are set by NFER I am under the impression that they should be allowed. If not allowed then children will waste time copying the question on a separate sheet of paper for the technique questions (e.g. codes, series etc).

Any parent who has already had experience of Redbridge please share your thoughts.
KP

Post by KP »

I called up the Redbridge LEA office and they have confirmed that children will not be allowed to do any rough working out on the actual question booklet. I find this very bad because it's NFER (GL Assessment) who had set the papers for Essex and the children were allowed to do rough work on the question booklet. They can do all the rough on a separate sheet of paper. I think this will lead to children making more mistakes and wasting time to actually copy the questions onto a paper and then apply the technique.

Any thoughts on this?
salaam

Redbridge

Post by salaam »

What about if they put markings then rub them out after ? my son tends to mark on the code series type questions when they give the alphabet. :roll:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear KP

The Bucks 12 plus do not allow working out on the booklet.

I make my students draw a largish square in the top right hand corner of the rough paper, where they put all question numbers they have guessed and need to go back to at the end of the test.

Not all questions require rewritng.

When making notes on the rough paper, use it logically. Always write the question number you are working on and keep all same type questions in the same area of the paper. Once, for example all codes have been completed quickly draw a line around the workings to keep it 'contained' in one place.

At least all children will be treated in the same way, therefore no disadvantage. Just need to learn how to deal with the different rule.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Salaam

I very much doubt that would be allowed, as although you cannot see the pencil colouring, you can still see the indent on the paper and if these papers are reused the next child would be able to see the marks.

Invilgilators could notice and your child may be 'told off' for not following the rules, which will only cause panic.

Start using rough paper now, so your child gets used to it.

Patricia
salaam

Thank you

Post by salaam »

Thanks for that .
KP

Post by KP »

Dear Patricia,

Thanks for the nice suggestion about making notes for doubtful answers that may need re-visiting. I am sure this technique will help the children.

I have already started to encourage by DS to start using a separate paper for rough work. It's all about practice and as you mentioned this will be the case for all the children hence no one will be disadvantged.

Thanks
KP
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now