Golden Wedding present ideas

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Warks mum

Golden Wedding present ideas

Post by Warks mum »

I'm looking for inspiration for a present for a Golden Wedding anniversary (50 years - quite an achievement!).

Any thoughts gratefully received!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

We had to get a gift for my inlaws 40th anniversary.They are both keen on the garden, more sitting in it nowadays as they are elderly.We bought them a stone sundial and some unusual shrubs/ bushes (no idea what - not a gardener :oops: ) We also got the children to do one of those paint your own ceramics and they did plates/ platters on a ruby wedding theme.
Don't know if that helps?
If they aren't close family then a less personal gift but well received is theatre vouchers...... will keep pondering
KB

Post by KB »

Depending on age/mobility would endorse the idea of a treat as opposed to an ornament etc. Again rather depends on financial circumstances but getting together with others to pay for complete package - taxi, meal, theatre etc?
Is often done 'in memory of' but also known it for Golden Wedding - inscribed bench somewhere they like to walk/ somewher special to them as a couple?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Fair few people reaching Golden wedding have all the things they may want - my in laws opted to have goats instead ... well money collected towards buying goats in Africa via Christian Aid or whatever... could also pay towards water supplies or books for schools etc.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

All I can think about is a golden egg cup (just the one mind you). That will be funny to anyone who watched The Royle family the other day...

I'll have a think about some sensible suggestions now! Um...
KB

Post by KB »

Depending on local connections they might like something inscribed to be donated on their behalf to a local organisation (bench-again:) - for Hospice/hospital garden, library books for local school, bibles for Church....)
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Thanks!

Definitely some ideas to think on here. I hadn't thought of a donation on their behalf, but it definitely might work!
doodles

Post by doodles »

A friend did 40 ruby/red presents for her parents' 40th - as simple as a red pen and a reel of red cotton. Could do the same for Gold/yellow - 50 items.

Alternatively I think that theatre tokens are really nice idea - they can go and see something as a treat and beforehand you could do tea at the Ritz /other post hotel if not London. My mum and dad would love that - couple of years for them though.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Or maybe make a collection of things which refer back to the year they were married - honeymoon photos, music, newspaper articles... or maybe one thing which is specific to each year of their marriage. Therefore, 50 gifts in total. Or 50 gold items (not real gold!)
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

50 years ago would be 1960 - the beginning of the swinging 60s. Loads must have happened in the intervening years...

Oh dear... so many options now... but feel free to keep them coming!

Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now