AGGS - Tricky Decision to Make !!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GatleyDad

AGGS - Tricky Decision to Make !!!

Post by GatleyDad »

Hello to all

There seems to be a great deal of knowledge on this forum so I'm hoping that I can gather some info to help us make a big decision. That decision being whether to relocate closer to AGGS to increase the chance of our daughter being successful in 2012.

We are currently inside the 8 mile catchment area being 5.3 miles away as the crow flies (or 6.6 miles travel distance, not sure which is used in the decision).

I understand that the closer you live the better your chances are but what I need to determine is the likelihood of being successful at 5.3 miles as opposed to being a couple of miles closer in Sale for example.

I'm sure it's a question that's been asked many times but any advice, data etc would be greatly appreciated.
tirlam

Post by tirlam »

Without doubt being in the area will improve your child's chances of getting in.

we were faced with a similar dilemna and decided we liked where we live too much and altrincham is too damm expensive.we probably live about 5 miles away also.

My son took the exam this year and got 351. That would have been easily enough if we lived in the area, however as we are out of area we have to sit and wait until 1 march to see if he's got in. The passmark in the previous two years for out of area has been 348.

Don't know if any of that helped!!
GatleyDad

Post by GatleyDad »

Thanks for the info.

The (current) admissions criteria seems to be different for the Girls being simply a pass or fail on the test and then the closest to the school after that.

Yes I agree that the house prices are high but when compared to the cost of private school (x 2 kids) it would make financial sense for us.

Trouble is, like you we are really happy with our current location.

Best of luck for March.

tirlam wrote:Without doubt being in the area will improve your child's chances of getting in.

we were faced with a similar dilemna and decided we liked where we live too much and altrincham is too damm expensive.we probably live about 5 miles away also.

My son took the exam this year and got 351. That would have been easily enough if we lived in the area, however as we are out of area we have to sit and wait until 1 march to see if he's got in. The passmark in the previous two years for out of area has been 348.

Don't know if any of that helped!!
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

Hi GatleyDad,
in theory being closer to the school should increase your chances of getting in, however over the last few years there is no-one who lives in the catchment area who has passed who hasn't got a place. There are still plenty of people outside the catchment area who gain entry. Both my DDs who are at the school have friends that come from, Wilmslow, Cheadle, Wythenshawe, Lymn and Warrington. Hope that helps with your decision.
GatleyDad

Post by GatleyDad »

Thanks Dougal that's encouraging info.

I'm aware that the catchment area has changed recently to simply an 8 mile radius (not sure in which year this came into force).

Is your info on all girls in catchment getting in based on the above or the previous catchment criteria ?

Thanks again.
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

My daughter who is in year 7 entered the school under the same admissions criteria as it is for 2010 and she says there are a couple of girls in her class from outside the catchment area, meaning that all those in the catchment area must have got in. It might be worth asking the school how many they took from out of catchment last year to give you a base line. Though as the credit crunch continues there may be more taking a place who would otherwise have gone to a private school.

Good luck with your DD. I have got DD number 3 taking the exam in September :)
GatleyDad

Post by GatleyDad »

Thanks Dougal. I'll be speaking to the school as you suggest. I guess they have all the info I need and I dont see why they should not provide it.

Regards
:)