2nd March round the corner!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wanting the best

2nd March round the corner!

Post by wanting the best »

Now that 2010 is here is anyone getting a tad anxious about 2nd March? I know I am. My DC has asked me a couple of times when willl we know which school is it going to be. I'm making sure my worries do not show through.
doodles

Post by doodles »

New positive attitude this year. There is nothing we can do until we know what has been allocated to DS. Probably sounds really annoying but I have plenty of other things to "occupy" my mind between now and then. Remind me of this in the middle of Feb when I am a gibbering wreck!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I am quite excited about it. We aren't guaranteed either of our first two choices but we certainly have a good chance so am excited to find out and start preparing my youngest for secondary school. I will have no more children in primary school so it is the end of an era....
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

medwaymum wrote: I will have no more children in primary school so it is the end of an era....
I know, makes one feel very old and a bit weepy!

However, come september 2010, DS1 will be starting in reception but I am actually dreading it because I hate waiting in cold, windy playgrounds where cliquey mums abound!

DD1 and DD2 will be in years 9 and 11 so I have got used to dropping off and picking up from secondary schools where one can be a bit late, just lurk in a nearby road or make 'em get the bus home.

Oh well, shouldn't have had such a big age gap!

It's the 2nd today, so only 2 months to go. Hope people get their chosen schools. (having been down the extremely stressful appeal route 2 years ago I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy)
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

inkypinkyponky wrote: It's the 2nd today, so only 2 months to go. Hope people get their chosen schools. (having been down the extremely stressful appeal route 2 years ago I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy)
Thanks for that inky, I have an appeal to look forward to! You have made me feel so much better about it!
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

I'm so sorry Twinkles, I didn't mean to upset anyone.

I'm a very nervous person anyway who throws up with nerves before parents' evenings, doctors appointments etc. Yes, I know I'm daft!

The appeal process (oversubscription to local non-selective) was for me a personal nightmare coz I hate speaking to people I don't know. (I don't even like speaking on the phone).

I had presumed my extremely laid-back husband was going to speak, but as I had prepared the appeal he thought I should do it to get my points across.

As it was, I did throw up with nerves on the day, but the appeal panel were lovely, smiling, chatty people who put me at ease. One even got me a glass of water when I started hyperventilating, patted me on the arm and told me to take all the time I needed to calm myself. The nerves finally left when I'd finished presenting the appeal, but I must have done ok as the appeal was won!! Yeehah!

I think I'm just a loony sometimes with getting so nervous, as most of the other parents who appealed at the same time weren't nervous at all!
Again, apologies.
inky x
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

inkypinkyponky wrote:I'm so sorry Twinkles, I didn't mean to upset anyone.
inky x
No need to apologise inky, I was only joking!

I am dreading the appeal and I too HATE speaking to people I don't know, I will get all flustered, go bright red, can never think of the right words at the right time and am useless at getting my point across without wittering on!! I am considering asking my brother to do it for me as he is used to speaking to people he doesn't know on a daily basis and is much better at getting his point across, but sometimes he can come across a bit 'heavy' (can't think how to describe what i mean, you see!).
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

You sound just like me, all flustered and wittering, and I'd forgotten about going bright red. We'll have to rename ourselves 'twinky'!

Your brother sounds a useful chap, maybe you could compromise and do the appeal yourself (gulp) but take him along with you for a friendly hand on the arm and a whisper to slow down and not gabble!

Good luck a thousand times over.
inky x
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

inkypinkyponky wrote:We'll have to rename ourselves 'twinky'!

Your brother sounds a useful chap, maybe you could compromise and do the appeal yourself (gulp) but take him along with you for a friendly hand on the arm and a whisper to slow down and not gabble!

Good luck a thousand times over.
inky x
I love your idea of renaming ourselves that's very funny!!

Yes, my brother is very good at winning arguments and great at putting together a good case for things. Unfortunately, for me, he got all the brains in the family and I had just the leftovers!!

Thanks for your best wishes.

Twinkles x
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Well this had all passed from my mind over the Christmas/New Year break......but it's back......that feeling of 'oh no, what if we don't get a spot'.......43 sleeps to go......and counting.