Ravenscourt Park Prep. School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Spude

Ravenscourt Park Prep. School

Post by Spude »

I live in West London, and just been blessed with a dbb. I've heard a lot about Ravenscourt Park, both good and bad, and was wondering if anyone knew anything? The local state schools seem pretty dire, but I don't want to waste money I can't afford

Thanks in advance
Nou

Post by Nou »

I live in a neighbouring borough. I have no experience of this particular school but have been badly let down by another independent. If you are thinking of spending that amount of money, I would shop around. Ask to sit in classes, see examples of work, talk to other parents (if poss) and find out which schools kids go to when they leave. If they don't do SATS or have inspections ask why. If there is a nursery it may have been inspected by OFSTED, download the report, criticisms probably apply to the school as well. Consider what you get for your money, extended day care is offered by some schools, some are mean and penny pinching and charge for everything. Also ask what the turnover of kids is i.e. if a lot leave after a year or two there is probably something wrong with the school. It also might be helpful to do a google search and find out what they pay teachers (from recruitment websites) - pay peanuts and get monkeys. Remember they don't have to employ qualfied teachers - be on your guard!

I was told once by an educational psychologist that there are three most important factors for a primary school "The Headteacher, The Headteacher and the Headteacher" this is really really true in my opinion.

Are you sure all the local state schools are rubbish - perhaps look in a neighbouring area. If you keep your kids on the waiting list a place might unexpectedly come up even for popular schools.
dorington

RPPS

Post by dorington »

My son joined in Yr 4 a couple of years ago. They had an excellent English department, although I'm not sure the 'added value was worth £10,000 per annum!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now