Tricky Habs Boys Question

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BarnetDad

Tricky Habs Boys Question

Post by BarnetDad »

Just had a look at a Habs Boys 13+ English paper and there's a question which is (to my mind) rather nasty, with two right answers. What do you lot think?

http://www.habsboys.org.uk/info/examina ... exam08.doc

contains this passage (starting from line 1):

"And in the middle of it all, my friend Keith. The picture’s no longer monochrome, evidently, because now I can see the colour of our belts. Keith’s, also fastened with a metal snake curled into the shape of an S, has two yellow bands on the black background, mine two green bands. We’re socially colour-coded for ease of reference...."

The question is: What does ‘monochrome’ (line 2) mean?
(a) An image of one colour
(b) A black and white image
(c) An image with a metallic appearance (2 marks)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Technically,yes, there are two answers (a) and (b). However, I expect the answer would be (b) as this is the more "usual" definition of monochrome and also fits in the context of passage.

I've just asked my Yr6 DS as he wandered downstairs and he answered (b).

I am sure that you had worked this out already but I do like this sort of question and trying to think like a youngster and not an adult.
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. We wondered if they're inviting the clever clogs answer "Could be either a or b, but b would be the more usual understanding"
doodles

Post by doodles »

No, I think it would be the straightforward answer as it is only a 2 mark question. I would have thought the "clever clog" answer would have been more marks as it requires a little explanation with it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now