Did anyone else's ds sit the Whitgift exam today?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LazyDaisy

Did anyone else's ds sit the Whitgift exam today?

Post by LazyDaisy »

How did they find it?

Ds finished most of it (a minor miracle) except for VR where he only did two-thirds!!!

He enjoyed the day, though, and said the food was much better than at his school!
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Hi LazyDaisy

Fingers crossed for your DS!! I remember the feeling from last year and almost holding my breath till i had heard from the school!! :D
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Thanks Mummyto3 - it is all so nervewracking!!!

Ds has Trinity next week so please keep your fingers crossed for him for that one too!!!!!
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Morning

Definitely have fingers crossed for your DS for next Tuesday - My DS is glad as they have the day off school!!

I have friends with DS at Whitgift and they love it; and my DS is having a great time at Trinity so either way your DS will be very happy at either school.

Don't stress too much and let me know how you get on.

All the best :D
nissi

Post by nissi »

Hi Lazydaisy and mummyto3
Have read your enteries with interest, but tis my 1st time actually writing one.
My DS also sat the Whitgift test yesterday and seemed to think he had done alright, though he didn't finish. Felt the best part was lunch and the snacks at break time! DS really wants to go there, but I am not sure we can really afford it, so hoping for a scholarship and have applied for both Whitgift and Trinity music scholarships....
Worst thing is that DS2 does his exams next year so there'll be no let up and I am absolutely fed up with the whole thing now! DS2 less academically able than his brother and not sure if I should put him through the whole stressful business- this may well be self preservation speaking!
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Hi Nissi

Fingers crossed also for your DS.

My DS2 is in yR 4 and i'm also concerned about the stress we will all have to go through again and am not 100% sure it will be right for him.

All too much really. :shock:
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Thank you for your good wishes, Mummyto3. I know I need to stay calm but is soooo difficult. :?

Hello nissi - glad to hear your ds found the exam okay. My ds agrees re lunch!! We will probably pass each other at Trinity on Tuesday - weather permitting.

Whitgift is expensive - other than the sport it is not easy to see what you get for the money over and above what Trinity offers (plus Trinity is definitely better on the music front). I know at the dc's school some people chose Whitgift for its "name" as opposed to anything it actually offers.

I put my foot in it with the Registrar, Mr Beck, by referring to the "local competition". He said that the headmaster would not agree that that there is any local competition!!! This was followed by a rather pointed remark about sometimes rejecting boys "because of their parents". Ooops :oops:

Good luck with Trinity, nissi - we must compare notes afterwards! :D
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

LazyDaisy wrote:Thank you for your good wishes, Mummyto3. I know I need to stay calm but is soooo difficult. :?

Hello nissi - glad to hear your ds found the exam okay. My ds agrees re lunch!! We will probably pass each other at Trinity on Tuesday - weather permitting.

Whitgift is expensive - other than the sport it is not easy to see what you get for the money over and above what Trinity offers (plus Trinity is definitely better on the music front). I know at the dc's school some people chose Whitgift for its "name" as opposed to anything it actually offers.

I put my foot in it with the Registrar, Mr Beck, by referring to the "local competition". He said that the headmaster would not agree that that there is any local competition!!! This was followed by a rather pointed remark about sometimes rejecting boys "because of their parents". Ooops :oops:

Good luck with Trinity, nissi - we must compare notes afterwards! :D
I would agree that the headmaster and therefore the rest of the team very much want Whitgift to be your first choice school. Historically they have never been particularly concerned about Trinity as for some reason they do not see them as competition and you can always argue that you sat it as insurance with Whitgift your first choice. However if you are doing the grammar school exams as well you need to be very careful how you answer questions about that.
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Lol!! Had to laugh at the 'pointed remark' about rejecting parents!! That's a bit harsh.

The Whitgift Headmaster told a friend of mine a couple of years ago during their DS interview that 'Whitigift is Premier League whilst Trinity is Championship material'!!

I think Whitgift is an excellent school and their academic record is definitely better that Trinity's but I preferred the Championship side :D
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Well this year Trinity's GCSE results were actually better than Whitgift's (which I should think put the Whitgift headmaster's nose out of joint a bit :) )

There is no denying that the staff at Whitgift like to give the impression that it is several notches above Trinity!! I felt that Trinity was a much friendlier place whilst Whitgift was a bit stuffy.

Anyway we just have to hope that ds passes one of them otherwise I have no idea what we'll do. :cry: