Oxbridge hype!!!

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Oxbridge hype!!!

Post by Guest »

I hope my son, who attends a good indepedent school, looks far and wide to continue his post senior school education. Personally, I would much prefer if he went for the likes of Harvard, Yale and MIT. They offer so much more and produce individuals of high calibre, in my opinion.

I certainly do not fall for this infatuation with gaining an Oxbridge place. Far from it!

Re: Oxbridge hype!!!

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I hope my son, who attends a good indepedent school, looks far and wide to continue his post senior school education. Personally, I would much prefer if he went for the likes of Harvard, Yale and MIT. They offer so much more and produce individuals of high calibre, in my opinion.

I certainly do not fall for this infatuation with gaining an Oxbridge place. Far from it!
Harvard, Yale and MIT? Oh, you mean the US equivalent of Oxbridge!

Re: Oxbridge hype!!!

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I hope my son, who attends a good indepedent school, looks far and wide to continue his post senior school education. Personally, I would much prefer if he went for the likes of Harvard, Yale and MIT. They offer so much more and produce individuals of high calibre, in my opinion.

Oh bless! He could be hugh grant and the prep girls will just love him and why should he go to that stinky oxbridge place if he doesn't want to. They just don't have lawns big enough, or turn out enough lawyers. Besides, you'll find it easier to buy a place there.
My son attended a good independent school too, but he decided to slum it in the fens, the sucker.

Post by Guest »

"Harvard, Yale and MIT? Oh, you mean the US equivalent of Oxbridge!"

NOT IN MY OPINION!!! The mentioned US universities are superior!

Anyway, it will ultimately be my son's decision, but he's fully aware of my views.

And as for Hugh Grant, that alone is a turn off!

Post by Guest »

God forbid we should not be superior. Sadly, it is comments like this that prevents my husband from allowing our child to go private. He worries about the people she might mix with. Shame.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Ouuuuch!! But then it looses its shine if you are anonymous (way too easy to slap). Larry would be so dissapointed in you...

INEX (neither English, nor American)
Anonymous wrote:God forbid we should not be superior. Sadly, it is comments like this that prevents my husband from allowing our child to go private. He worries about the people she might mix with. Shame.
sj355

Post by Guest »

sj355 wrote:Ouuuuch!! But then it looses its shine if you are anonymous (way too easy to slap). Larry would be so dissapointed in you...

INEX (neither English, nor American)
Anonymous wrote:God forbid we should not be superior. Sadly, it is comments like this that prevents my husband from allowing our child to go private. He worries about the people she might mix with. Shame.
Ha! You are right. It is easy, and certainly the cringe-making stance of that earlier comment does not require me to be hidden, being as it is, so blatently ugly. I resent it. I have two children who have done exceedingly well through a private education and I defend the set up more often than you can imagine. Then, someone like that whips away my argument in a thrice. It speaks of class and has none. It can shout into the wind.
..and pray, who is Larry. I am not being arch here. I just don't know.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Then, someone like that whips away my argument in a thrice. It speaks of class and has none.
Is this the English way of class sniffing or just a vacuous remark?
It can shout into the wind.
Do you do that often? Sounds scary! :lol:
..and pray, who is Larry. I am not being arch here. I just don't know.
Lawrence Summers, hugely respected economist, former secretary of the treasury, and (more relevantly here) president of Harvard between 2001-2006; has left after some non hugely respected comments about womens' mathematically ability. I think the new president is a woman!!!

Regards,

INEX
sj355

Post by Guest »

Enough of the porkies now!

The real reason your 'husband' does not want to send your daughter private is more down to his reluctance (or inability) to pay the fees and not for fear of "who she might mix with".

I stand by my opinion of over-rated Oxbridge! The UK educational system in general needs to raise its standards, and fast!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Please read the rules of this forum - be polite - the above post is not!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now