QCA's

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bewildered

QCA's

Post by Bewildered »

Does anyone know if QCA tests done in years 3/4/5 are standardized in the same format as the 11+.
i.e 69-141.

Last year we were told the level achieved, but without the usual a,b,c attached. I asked the school for my son's raw score in English, for last years QCA test and was told they didn't have this info only a standardized figure, but could not tell me what this number was out of. A figure on its own is pretty useless, as I'm still no wiser as to his level, and the amount of extra work we need to cover! :?

Any ideas?

BW
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No they're not standardised like that - I have put the link to the QCA website:

You can see the % of children that got each level and the marks to get that level:

http://www.qca.org.uk/12310.html

see index on the left of the page.

The a,b,c refer to sub-levels and a is the highest - send another message of not clear.

Post by Guest »

Is QCA the same as the CATs tests (Cognative Ability Test)? If it is the one and same then the scores are standardised in a similar way to the 11+. My son did not do very well in Y3 (around the 100 mark) but in Y4 he scored 125 in the verbal reasoning. In Bucks the Verbal Reasoning CAT test is most similar to the 11+ and the other too spatial awareness and maths based tests are less important. However if you are doing non-verbal reasoning in your area you can also look at the Non-Verbal reasoning/spacial awareness score.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No the CATS are something completely different - not linked to the NC at all - it's to predict future performance not measure current performance:

http://www.nfer-nelson.co.uk/education/ ... 3/cat3.asp
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

My daughter did the optional SATS in Yr 3,4 & 5, and the teachers were able to give me her level including the a,b,c. If they have your child's score on record, they should be able to do that for you as all they need to do is cross refernce the score to the QCA table for that year.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thanks Guest55, had a look but still not sure, figures aren't as high as I was given. She said he got, 136 for reading, and 141 for maths. It was this that made me think it might be similar to 11+ standardization.

Bexley, our school give nothing away. They seem to enjoy the authority it gives them.

I think I'll try calling QCA directly. Although fear they may only give information to schools and not parents.

Thanks

BW

how many questions in ech paper

Post by Guest »

ok could someonegive any idea how many questions appears in each maths test one and test 2 (written) ad mental maths.i was also bit confused as i recently bought LETTS maths revivion papers for my son who is in year 5 and it contains 6 papers (old real QCA tests) which are 3 sets infact as test one CACULATOR NOT ALLOWED and test2 CALCULATOR ALLOWED written and mental test paper, in each set. does it mean that he is going to have 2 tests and get tested for mental maths in 2nd one or is he going to have saparate mental test (in addition to 2 written tests). any comments.thanx.

Guest55 wrote:No they're not standardised like that - I have put the link to the QCA website:

You can see the % of children that got each level and the marks to get that level:

http://www.qca.org.uk/12310.html

see index on the left of the page.

The a,b,c refer to sub-levels and a is the highest - send another message of not clear.

sorry

Post by Guest »

sorry i meant is it true questions appear in test = marks? and how many qstna in each test, in above post.thanx
bexley

Post by bexley »

Yes there are 3 papers. One which allows a calculator, one that doesn't and a separate mental maths paper. The total of the 3 papers is used for the final attainment level. The mental maths paper is out of 20, the other 2 are out of about 40-50 marks with some questions carrying more than 1 mark.

thanx

Post by Guest »

thanx for reply bex. can you throw some light on my concern about practice test papers i have bought. it says on 2nd test of all three sets as test2 calculator alowwed and mental maths test paper :oops: or its me who can't understand......????
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now