Scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mynameisbond

Scholarships

Post by mynameisbond »

Just wanted to ask all your views on the offers of private school scholarships ? We have asked the schools we are applying to about their criteria for academic scholarships and most have ben fairly evasive. Some have been reluctant to put a figure on the numbers they give each year,which has led us to believe that the system isn't exactly transparent. Are we right in thinking they will not necessarily go to those children who do exceptionally well in the entrance exams and maybe some are kept for their prep feeder schools, with others going to those girls they feel may well be offered grammar school places in their junior schools?

Hope I am not being paranoid about this, but given this is our first foray into this world, we are starting to feel a little suspicious....maybe you can put our minds at rest (or not !)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Our son has a scholarship. We were wary of the lack of transparancy in the sense that no numbers were mentioned. However, I now know that this is because my son's particular school offers as many scholarships as they need to give. So, in a bright cohort, more children will have them.

I hope that this helps; but these are just my findings from one school. The other school, that we turned down, offered a specific amount and were upfront about that (small) number from the outset.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Unfortunately a school cannot give out numbers because they are generally not fixed. One year, no children may be awarded a scholarship because none met a certain level. Scholarships do not go to the top candidates but the top candidates who achieve a minimum level in the exams. A school will also not mention figures because if they are quoted having a certain number available and do not offer the full number of awards then some nosy parents could start to pry! :wink: :lol:

We have been in situations where three schools said they did not offer any scholarships but once they assessed DS or realised he was offered a place elsewhere they seemed to change their mind. What we must remember is that scholarships and bursaries are discretionary so a figure cannot be put on them. My advice is to sit DC for the exams and take it from there - good luck!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The money for scholarships should come from invested monies (rather than top slicing full fee payers...)

Both sources of income are likely to be stressed at the mo - with low interest rates on the investments and more of the FFP hoping for help with fees.

Hence the schools are unlikely to have set amounts and each year may vary - if they aren't offering many then they may be able to reinvest the money for future years
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

How much assistance is available from an academic scholarship?

I have heard 10% mentioned but this seems a small amount. Is it negotiable?
Animis opibusque parati
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Very variable SVE! Depends on the school - tends to be a lower percentage tha it used to be. Some get an academic scholarship (tend to be 30-50% max these days - though I am sure soem are higher / lower) and if parents still cant afford it they can apply for bursaries.

There has been a trend to spread the money via bursaries / smaller awards to lots of kids rather than few larger awards.
SunlampVexesEel

Thanks. 30-50%... now you're talking.

10% seems a bit pointless as an incentive. Of course if you intend to go there anyway it could be seen as a nice bonus but if the cost is looking like the deciding factor then it's peanuts.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:Thanks. 30-50%... now you're talking.

10% seems a bit pointless as an incentive. Of course if you intend to go there anyway it could be seen as a nice bonus but if the cost is looking like the deciding factor then it's peanuts.

Regards
SVE
i see your point but depends on your circumstances.Have a friend whose child got into two Croydon boys schools, a small scholarship brought both fees in at the same level and enabled them to chose the one they liked.(They had 2 children and were scraping to get there)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

All scholarships are negotiable but only if your child is really something special. Not just a scholar but a genius that the school would not want to lose. Most scholarships can be augmented with a bursary but the initial scholarship can range from nil up to 50%, with 10% being about the average.
SunlampVexesEel

Chelmsford mum wrote:...Have a friend whose child got into two Croydon boys schools, a small scholarship brought both fees in at the same level and enabled them to chose the one they liked....
Ah! That's an interesting bit of logic. I hadn't considered it as a relative incentive. We have a clear favourite independent so wouldn't be swayed but I can see that if it is close it could be a factor.

Thanks for the insight... we're too deep in the forest to see the wood for the trees!

Hopefully our choice will be between Grammar and Independent.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati