Kendrick - worth the effort for a girl from Maidenhead?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummytroubles

Kendrick - worth the effort for a girl from Maidenhead?

Post by mummytroubles »

Am just starting to think about secondary schools for DD who is in Year 5.
She is a very academic girl so was thinking about going private maybe. However we would love not to have to!! Kendrick looks so strong on paper but we live in Maidenhead and I'm a bit put off by the fact that I know absolutely no one who sends their girls there from this side of Reading. Tried to look round last September but they wouldn't even think of letting us look round til DD is in Year 6 which also put me off as I'm the type of person who likes to look round a school lots before I make a decision. Also thought it whiffed a bit of a school that thinks it doesn't have to try hard because it's so popular. But its results are stellar and it's free (except for our taxes of course) so would love to hear what people think generally as they won't let us in to see the place before September and also is there a Maidenhead contingent both for travel and friends for DD?

MT
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Hi mummytroubles

There is definitely a Maidenhead contingent. One of the parents is a forum member so hopefully will be along to give you a local opinion.

My DD is in Y7 so too soon to say whether it is 'worth the effort' but we are happy so far and DD has settled in well. We went to the Open Evening when she was in year 5 but that was in the autumn so I'm afraid you've missed it until next October. It is probably fair comment to say that they don't 'have to try hard'. There is a Spring Fayre on Sat 13 March which I would think you could turn up to for an informal look around? Not sure of the details yet.

Feel free to ask questions! :)
ks

Post by ks »

Hi mummytroubles.

My DD is also in Year 7 (with Torrylee's) and travels on the train from Maidenhead. There are 8 girls in current Yr 7 that get the train from Maidenhead & although I think that is higher than normal, there is a contingent most years. Several girls also join them at Twyford.
The current Head Girl is also from Maidenhead.

Around 40% of all girls go by train so they are never short of someone to go to the station with.

We also went to the Open Evening in Year 5. They may just discourage as it's very busy on Open Evening night & Year 6s tend to go as that's when they hand out application forms.

The only possible downside is that it is a pretty early start, Girls get either the 7.25 or 7.37 train (so pretty dark this time of year!). Otherwise all good so far.

Feel free to ask more questions or PM me if you prefer,

KS
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now