decisions decisions- which school??

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nissi

decisions decisions- which school??

Post by nissi »

Now that the wait is almost over and results are out soon- is there anyone out there who is terrified of making the wrong decision about which school to choose for their DC or has everyone more or less made up their minds anyway by now?
DC sat both grammars (Olave's and Wilson's) and Indies(Whitgift, Trinity and CH to come in Feb).
Any advice welcome please! :?

:? DC wants to go to whitgift, but could only afford it if he wins a scholarship!
nell

Post by nell »

What a wonderful problem to have!!

Children are so resilient that I'm sure sure he will settle wherever he goes. It is nice if they can go to a school with one or two people they know but aside from that don't worry too much. My son went into secondary school not knowing a soul and settled right away. I think I was more worried than he was!!
Daogroupie

Where will dd be in September?

Post by Daogroupie »

I have no idea where my dd will be in September. She could even be at home because we are in Herts and only have 3 choices and we blew them all on 3 entrance exam schools. So we may well end up with the nearest undersubscribed just out of special measures school. All will depend on who wants her! It is no good us deciding and then not getting in. We will wait to see what turns up. We are in no position to choose yet. Dd is having quite different experiences with the cohorts she is encountering in the exams. She is just coming to the end of 6.5 hours at St Pauls as I write. And she has another all day at Habs tomorrow and then again at St Albans on Friday. I hope she has had a great day with lots of friendly girls. If she comes out unhappy with the environment she has been in after any of the all day exams then we will know that is not the school for her. Does your ds have any strong opinions on any of the schools?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well you have certainly gone for selectivity ther Daogroupie! Two being arguably some of the most difficult in th country. All great schools - good luck with your decisions - when do you find out?
Daogroupie

Results

Post by Daogroupie »

We will find out next week if we have got to interview stage at St Pauls and City. We did the online test for both in November and the exams friday and today. City was just the morning but St Pauls is 8.40 until 3.15. I can't wait to find out in 45 mins just exactly what on earth she has been doing all day! Hope she hasn't dozed off at all as we were on the 6.40am train this morning because I did not want a repeat of friday when we were late for City as we had a saturday service and a train cancelled on us. Poor old DD2 was packed off last night so she did not get in the way! But most of all I hope the girls have been friendly. I am sorry to say that my state school girl is not finding mixing with the private sector the most friendly of experiences. She did have some nice girls at City, but nobody spoke to her during the three hour computer test at St Paul's in November. So no matter how much we love the school and we do really like it, I know she would have a great academic experience there, if the cohort is going to be the way they have been so far I don't think it is going to be for us. I would really like to know what the state school percentage is at St Paul's. Dd is very confident about asking questions of other children (in fact she got dinged on her school report for over confidence with adults) and has not found a single one so far.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Don't worry about other kids. When DS did his computer test at Eton - 3 hours - there were other kids there but he never spoke to anyone. It just wasn't the time or the place. At Westminster he was the only boy from a country boarding school and most of the other boys new each other so he spoke to no one again. Sometimes kids don't think, and had the assessment been more classroom based then I think he would have got talking to some boys.
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Nissi

You have a good choice of schools there; am sure anyone you go for will be good for your DS.

We had to choose between Whitgift and Trinity last year for our DS - Trinity were more generous with their scholarship than Whitgift; so we went for them.

My DS changed his mind on regular basis on which of the two was the flavour of the week - so it was easier for us!! Bar our decision to opt for Trinity - he was quite keen on the electronics/robotics club at Whitgift but he was more excited to go to Trinity as they have a model plane flying club.

Another factor was our DS2, currently Yr4, who, though quite bright, is not likely to receive an academic scholarship so we had to factor in paying two lots of fees in the next coming couple of years.

Hopefully you will soon be in the fortunate position of choosing and refusing. Fingers crossed for your family. :D
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Which school is CH, nissi?

I'm impressed that you are worrying about making the right choice - I'll be amazed if we even have a choice!! :D I'll just be grateful if ds actually passes something............... :D
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

Are the journey's to and from the schools roughly the same?
Are they going to be reliant on you to drive them?

State schools have shorter holidays which is better for working parents., but no model aeroplane clubs alas!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now