New to indie schooling - advice required

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

proudswan

Post by proudswan »

I'm new to independant schooling too, I don't think anyone in my family has ever even considered it! However, after looking at the ofsted reports etc for our local schools I am not happy to chance it with my daughter. We have started looking at schools locally and also wondered about bursaries. I feel a little embarrassed calling the schools as I feel we are also in the "too rich for help to poor to afford it" category. We have enough time to save part of the fees for the first few years, however it will be quite a strain financially. Does anyone have experience they could share of schools in the Bushey, Aldenham, Croxley Green area of Herts? Any help or wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi,
My son is in Y8 at Aldenham School and absolutely loves it. He is flying academically and has made loads of friends. He is also doing well with sports which Aldenham is well known for.
He went to state primary and we too were new to independent education - it is the best decision we ever made.
If you want any more info please feel free to pm me.
proudswan

Post by proudswan »

Hi Zorro, Aldenham is one of the schools on our shortlist! We're looking at starting our daughter there in the kindergarten. One of the things I'm worried about with sending her to indie school is that she won't fit in because of our background......we're not a middle class family and we don't have much money. As I said, it will be tough putting her through school, but we want to give her the best chance at a good education. Can I ask....what are the backgrounds of the children at Aldenham, are they mainly from "well to do" families?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Proudswan, in some ways you are fortunate living within the M25 because the indie's are so socially diverse. Many cultures put education above all else and will make huge sacrifices and a lot of people who have come from other countries would only consider private schooling as they have to pay back in their home lands. I would say 50% lived in 3 bed terraces at our London indie. There will always be some who are loaded but often they tend to pay for very expensive schools outside of London.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Proudswan - never worry about background, if you think someone is posh or more entitled to be there than you, you may well find that they are just putting it on..

In plenty of areas the parents who are hard up are the ones with the kids at independent schools - they are having to pay the fees out of heard earned dosh not a money tree in the back garden. Many indies are far more socially diverse than grammar schools.

Go for it!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Proudswan,
It's a real mix-there are some very wealthy families(plenty of Bentleys and Porsche 4x4s in the carpark) but also lots of ordinary families like us.
DS only has 1 really well off friend and it's not been an issue despite me thinking it would be when he first started!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I promise it will all be okay. I speak from experience.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Ed's mum wrote:I promise it will all be okay. I speak from experience.
I think you are particularly lucky EM. Given the prestige, fame and fees at your DC'S (notice the plural!) school, I found the staff especially down to earth and without one iota of snobbery. Unusual really as there is usually many "old school" archetypical snobbish teacher in these schools!
proudswan

Post by proudswan »

Thank you for the replies, I feel a bit better now!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:
Ed's mum wrote:I promise it will all be okay. I speak from experience.
I think you are particularly lucky EM. Given the prestige, fame and fees at your DC'S (notice the plural!) school, I found the staff especially down to earth and without one iota of snobbery. Unusual really as there is usually many "old school" archetypical snobbish teacher in these schools!
Yes, I can't believe how down to earth they are. With regard to the bad weather we've had; since Ed started back 2 weeks ago they have been allowed to go in warm, casual clothes and sensible shoes - not uniform - as their main concern was the warmth and safety of the children. I'm one impressed mum!

I think that you'll know when you find the right school for your child proudswan.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now