City of London Boys on Monday - any advice or tips?!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

naxa

City of London Boys on Monday - any advice or tips?!

Post by naxa »

My DS is taking the City exam on Monday. We don't know anyone else who has taken it at 11+, so no idea what to expect from the day etc. Does anyone whose DS took it last year have any advice, tips?

Also, is anyone else going?!
vas

Post by vas »

Two years ago experience. Same format as all other Indies. Maths, English and VR. Not quite sure in what order; I also remember him telling me that the VR wasn't MCQ. English may have had some grammar unlike the normal comprehension & composition.

Most importantly he was given choc ice for afters which really made his day!

Good luck and your son will enjoy the day. The older boys are very friendly and will make your son feel very welcome.
naxa

Post by naxa »

Thanks Vas. The letter we received didn't state whether the "reasoning" was non-verbal or verbal. My ds hates NVR so will be happy to know that its VR!

It seems like a long ordeal as they don't finish until the afternoon, so at least the choc ice will help!

Were there masses of boys taking the tests and did your DS get through?
floarnie

Post by floarnie »

The school website (FAQ) suggests that the reasoning paper covers both verbal and non-verbal.

http://www.clsb.org.uk/faqs/
vas

Post by vas »

Yes, he did. But because of logistics and a few other reasons we didn't go for it in the end.
I was very impressed with the school though. I think about 800 sat the tests if I remember correctly from an old post.
Good luck for tomorrow.
floarnie

Post by floarnie »

Does anyone know how many are invited back for interview and how many offers will be given out for the 72 places?

The interview letter mentions 2-hr of individual and group session. Any idea about the format of each?
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Hi we did the interview last year. The boys were taken off in groups of about 20 and had an individual interview and a group session where they had to do some problem solving. He was also given some puzzles to do while they waited for their interview. He enjoyed the session but it was by far the longest interview and was very serious. Meanwhile the teachers offered coffee to parents and there was a chance to ask questions. He got a scholarship.
floarnie

Post by floarnie »

From their website calendar, I notice that there will be 3 groups per am/pm session over two days. Sounds like they are interviewing up to 240 children for 72 places.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now