Need your help if you are a whizz at physics

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chelmsford mum

Need your help if you are a whizz at physics

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi folks,
Had parent's eve last night for yr 7 DD and had her assessment grades for her first term. All was generally well and some very good indeed. :)
However Physics teacher asked to see me, and DD and I both suspected it was not to give her the Nobel prize for physics :lol:

She came out with a 5A last term and (lovely ) physics teacher says that is below average for the year and she needs to "work at it".He suggested books such as CGP.I had a quick browse in bookshops today but couldn't see anything Physics based for that age group.

Anybody know any websites/ Cd roms/ books etc.Would be very grateful as I think she is going to need my support and I know as much/little as her.
Thanks in advance :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

GCP also have a website , may be worth trying there?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

O.k Thanks will do. :D
Anyone know of any games based/ fun activites/ websites?

Can such a thing even exist for physics... :shock:
Milla

Post by Milla »

Chelmsford mum wrote:O.k Thanks will do. :D
Anyone know of any games based/ fun activites/ websites?
Can such a thing even exist for physics... :shock:
Steady on, there's walking on water and then there are miracles.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Pah.... you built my hopes up. :(
Milla I saw you had replied and I thought you were going to turn out to be a whizz kid physicist. You and your dancing baby got any tips ? :wink:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just googled "physics games" and it came up with whole list of sites. Some looked quite good fun.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

doodles wrote:Just googled "physics games" and it came up with whole list of sites. Some looked quite good fun.
Thanks doodles :D I will try that.
Just don't really have a grasp at all of what would be age approp.What should an 11 year old be able to do? :?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Have you asked the school for a scheme of work for her year? Our school do them and it tells you the topics they will be covering during the year. It may point you in the right direction.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

This may be of use

http://www.kettlethorpehigh.co.uk/depts ... s_home.htm

don;t forget bbc website they usually have lots of games
KB

Post by KB »

I would ask the teacher for more details as term 1 Year 7 'physics' will cover only one/two topics & in a very particular way.
Just because she struggles a bit with these doesn't mean she will generally have problems - there are such a wide range of topics to be covered. It does seem quite early to be giving a level in a new subject. It could be based on only avery few marks.

Once you can pin point the areas of difficulty you may well find you or relative can help anyway.
Also ask DD if she understands the teacher - if not then encourage her to ask for concepts to be explained in different way - it may be that she & teacher are not on same wavelength :)

Not sure if this will get blocked - if so PM me - but BrightMinds have lots of science based toys - building electrical circuit based toys/ mechanical stuff. Lego & lego techincs have kits for teaching things like pulleys etc.
It might be that yor DD does better if she can see how things work (light can be tricky until you do it in practice with a torch, mirrors for periscope etc.)

Most importantly do not let her think she can't do physics. If she is good at Maths reassure her that as the Physics progresses alot of it is related to maths so she should find those bits easier.

I don't like to criticise teachers without fully understanding the situation but it does seem that in this case they have been quite quick to pass the responsibility over to you and book study at home! If she needs to 'work at it' then the school should also be providing proper support and specific guidance!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now