CATs Tests

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

CATs Tests

Post by Sally-Anne »

If any member has direct experience of administering Verbal Reasoning CATs tests, could they be so kind as to PM me?

Many thanks!

Sally-Anne
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I haven;t but I know a woman who does!

I'll ask her for you
Perplexed 2009

CATS

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

DD1 (YR6 Gloucestershire) has just done CAT tests today.
What are they and why are they doing them now?
Is this normal?
11 plus is behind us, so why now?

I sent her to school with cold and sore throat etc; she nearly fell asleep during tests!
Our (furry) cat got killed by a car today so that didn't help either when I picked them up.

DD1 says they are to have more tests next week.

I've also heard that nationally they might not set SATS for Y6 this summer, as teachers are boycotting?

Why all this extra testing?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think they are to provide info for secondary schools perplexed 2009.
moved

Post by moved »

CAT tests can provide an indication into predicted GCSE results. If grammar schools use them they like to wait a while until they set them to avoid the earlier VR knowledge from biasing the results.

I also sent DD to school poorly the day she did her CATs so results will probably be down.

We use them at our school but I do find that NR relies on knowledge and that the predictions for GCSE come out a little low. But we are a private school and we do nurture the children so perhaps in a larger environment they might be more accurate.
Milla

Post by Milla »

we were told in primary that they were administered once, that it was normally in Y6 for most schools but that ours chose to do them at the beginning of Y5. Don't get???
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
moved

Post by moved »

We administer them 3 times in y7, 8 and 9. The results can vary hugely from year to year.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Perplexed 2009

They are Cognitive Ability Tests produced by GL Assessment.

http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/educatio ... 3/cat3.asp

The children will usually take all three - Verbal Reasoning, Non-verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning (maths). They are effectively measures of a child's ability.

They are often administered in Year 7, and if schools use them properly they are a very good measure of whether each child is achieving their full potential, or if there is a gap.

They are quite useful things, and the children are virtually never told that they will be taking them in advance, because they cannot be revised for.

I'm slightly surprised that she is taking them now, with the 11+ behind her, but perhaps the school just likes to have more information to pass on to the children's next schools?

Anyway, they won't have been a particularly stressful experience for her. Many schools do them online these days, rather than on paper and the kids are quite happy about that.

Sally-Anne
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

the school in which I do supply administer them in year 6 about now. Not sure if that is county wide
happyqueen

Post by happyqueen »

Hi all. Does anyone know whether these tests are administered in London state schools? :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now