Any news from Wilsons?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Shaftsbury1

Any news from Wilsons?

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello everyone,

I was not expecting to ask this so soon but apparently ds says a class-fellow who has already heard that he has passed!

Good luck everyone.

OH and 6 weeks and counting till March 2!!!!!!
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi Shaftsbury

We haven't heard anything yet! The letter that came with the candidate number said that they would be sending out letters at the end of the month. It also says the same on the website. See below - I copied off the Wilson's website.

"You will find out at the end of January whether your son has passed the test as well as an indication of whether or not the school is likely to be able to make an offer. Please note that, because of oversubscription, not all who pass the test can be made an offer."

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Plum
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

That is what i thought too!

But ds is adamant his friend has already received the letter.

Plum,how is your ds feeling,i remember you mentioned he prefered
Wilsons to Wallington.

I thought my ds was a cool character, but recently he has been asking
how long until march 2nd?

It is going to be a nervous few weeks.
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi there!

DS is completely unfaized by it all!

We're very lucky in that we're in the catchment area of Warlingham & Riddlesdown so in trying for the grammars, he never felt too much pressure or urgency! It was more a case of trying our luck! We were aiming for WCGS as my husband, his brothers, most of the boys I went to primary school with and hung out with as a teenager went there. Also, 3 of my nephews are there or have just left. So we felt like we knew it more than Wilson's. Also, my brother went to Wilson's and managed to leave with 1 O level (he must have really worked hard to do that) so I had quite a negative view of the school. However, when we looked around it, I was really impressed and I thought the HM was great.

DS liked it too and wanted to sit the exam and having completely astounded us - oops sorry, we knew all along he had it in him all long :wink: - and passed the WCGS with a guaranteed place (it still surprises me now!) we thought we should give it a go. Only one other boy from his school sat for Wilson's, so he's now hoping that they both get in or neither get in.... Kids, hey! :roll:

It would definitely be the cherry on the icing of the cake if he passed but we'll get over it if he doesn't!

Bet you're sorry you asked now!!!! : :lol:

TTFN
Plumx
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello Plum,

It is funny how the boys can shock you,i was not expecting ds's result for wcgs either! Particularly as we had only prepared for a short time and took wcgs completely as a mock!

I am just worried that he was able to keep the momentum for
the grammars closer to us.

Sorry, i am not familiar with the school you mentioned-what area are you in?
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi

Riddlesdown comes under Croydon but is practically in Surrey (East). It's a large comp and has just converted into a colligate which is basically splitting the school into 4 separate schools. It's like having houses but the staff are supposed to be specific to each house and each house has it's own block in the school to stop the kids having to wander all over the place. It's quite a radical plan and it will be interesting to see if it works.

Warlingham, again another large comp, but is doing very well, especially it's 6th form. This is in Surrey but right on the borders with Croydon.

Which school does your DS prefer? We found it very hard to maintain interest after the WCGS results (me especially) and that will be my excuse if DS doesn't pass Wilson's!

Plum
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello,
Well we are in SW london so tiffin in kingston and then sutton grammar are closer to us and this echoed ds's preference as well.

The wcgs result was a real confidence boost for ds and i was really grateful; but at the same time i had heard that some boys can relax and become blase after wcgs.

And then we had the tough job of covering the whole range of subjects ie vr,nvr,maths and english.

It so happened that ds and i went to see tiffin after the wcgs result and he fell in love with it which recharged his batteries until the test day on the 8th december................then there was no way he was looking at another 11+ book!
And so by the time wilsons test day came along,i had to practically drag him there! :roll: :lol:

So i will be really shocked if he passes!!!!

You are lucky that you know where you stand! Is wcgs your first choice then or did you put wilsons first?

Talk to you later
Sh1
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi

I can see why your DS is asking about the 2nd March!

Your poor DS, having to do the full range of 11+ subjects, proabably in MC and full written answers as well - not easy but at least it's all over with now! Well, I hope he gets his first choice - sounds like it will be the easiest commute as well which helps.

We put Wilson's as first choice as definitely had WCGS in the bag and DS preferred it. However, whilst I wouldn't say DS was blase about Wilson's, he definitely didn't do as much work, mainly because his school really stepped up the homework in Year 6 and he just didn't have time. Of course, the exam being right after Christmas doesn't help and we had family arrive from Australia on the 1st Jan and were staying with us for a few days! It wasn't an ideal set of circumstances.

Back in the day when I did my 11+, we sat one exam for all the schools - it was so much easier!!!!

Plum
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Ds has had quite an extended leave from homework at the moment!

I had thought that his school would start giving extra work now for SATs,but they hardly give him any work.In fact i have a P-T meeting this evening and will have a word.

If i at least know what topics they are covering and then i could give him some extra exercizes at home.
Plum

Post by Plum »

DS's school are giving booster lessons to get everyone up to a Level 4. Anybody above that, they don't worry about. So DS is not really being stretched - still think he needs a bit of a rest now. Will let him chill until Easter then maybe get him doing a bit of extra English (his weakest subject) at home.

The homework he gets, is mostly a doddle and he does it very quickly. However, there is always the danger of rushing and making silly mistakes!

I am trying to get him to read more and he is slowly coming round to the idea....

Plum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now