Sex Education

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ally

Sex Education

Post by Ally »

I know that in Y6 they introduce sex education, but as a parent how do you start to tell your DS the facts of life. Can anyone recommend any suitable books ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Where do Babies come from ? by robin harris

What's happening to me? - Susan meredith et al (girls and boys versions...)

got them from amazon
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You can try 'Unzipped' at Red House which is aimed at boys.

The link is here:

http://www.redhouse.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st ... gory_17611

It's on sale now at £2.00!!

.................. and the write up on the book:

Physical changes and the pressure that growing up puts on relationships can make a teenager's life quite a challenge. There's a lot you want to know but don't necessarily want to ask. Here, top agony uncle Matt Whyman provides frank information on subjects of vital interest to teenage boys in particular... puberty and private parts, sex and smoking, girls, mates and home life. Without patronising, Whyman answers all the questions boys are dying to ask, but daren't.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Thanks, I've ordered them already. I want to introduce the suject in the right way before it's covered at school.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Ally, I'm not sure there is a right way. My mother used to put on her serious voice and take me off to a quiet corner for a 'special talk' which was just excrutiatingly embarrassing.

We have dealt with this in our family already because my DD2 who is 6 has already asked the 'How do you get a baby?' question in front of her older sister who needed some facts but didn't know how to ask and like you, I couldn't find a way to bring up the subject.

One of the reasons I am replying to you is because my DD2 asked the question again in the car on the way to school this morning and I gave a very concise, biological answer without getting embarrassed (normally I start to stutter and turn pink)!!. Unfortunately my 3 year old was also in the car so I hope she's not repeating what I said at nursery this morning. :oops:

I tried putting my DD1 in situations where she might ask some questions (spending a long time choosing tampons in the supermarket etc.) but she never did. In the end I had to say " do you know what these are for?" and launch into an unprepared and confusing speech in Tesco. I did then buy her a book to explain everything a little more clearly.

Can you put your son in a situation where you can start a conversation? If you see a wildlife program with animals mating can you use that to ask if he knows how humans mate? and then let that lead into the changes that will happen to him as he grows up? I bet you anything he's desperate for information but doesn't know how to ask.

I think you are right to explain before he does it at school. He doesn't want to be the only one looking shocked because he didn't know. I don't envy you though, at least having girls I knew what I was talking about!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Last year I got DS What's happening to me? It covers the basics but nothing too detailed.

I was lol reading Pixie Queens introduction to tampons. I'm storing that away for future reference. :D

When my DS was quite little he picked up an Usborne Guide - Where babies come from. Flicking through it he turned to me and said with authority...

"This isn't right.. Babies don't come out of the vinegar!" :lol: :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

:lol: :lol: :lol: - vinegar, don't you just love kids!!!!

This is one thing which has always occurred naturally between dd and I. We've never had a problem discussing 'things' right from the very first time she started asking question I have always been open and honest (pitching it in appropriate language for her age at the time of asking). Her friend who I used to come to take to school everyday also joined in the discussions on her mum's behest, as mum herself found it more difficult to be so open about.

I think it was something I was quite determined to be like (open, that is) as my own mother literally didn't tell me anything (SOOOO Victorian :evil: ).

I'm really liking the relationship we have (most of the time :oops: :lol: :lol: ) and we already talk about boyfirends and friend trouble. Long may it reign!!!!
Ally

Post by Ally »

It interesting to know how other families have introduced /dealt with the subject. There's no right way, but it'll be useful to have a couple of books
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now