D- Day 1st March (Ermystead)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
arsenal_no1_fan

D- Day 1st March (Ermystead)

Post by arsenal_no1_fan »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here, but have been reading through the forum since August last year and must say the support and encouragement has been excellent.

Anyway, DS took his entry exam in September 2009 at Ermystead grammar school in Skipton and passed by achieving 247 points. You can imagine how proud and excited I was when I read the letter, I was over the moon. :D :D

However, I’m still worried that DS may still not get a place despite only 95 pupils passed the test with 17 places still available due to where we live. The criteria that is used to select those who have passed is measured on distance and we are 11.6 miles from the school, last year the cutoff point was 11.06miles and the year before was just under 10 miles. We are also under the Bradford education authority and not North Yorks. I’m not sure how many appeals will be upheld but if threes more than 17 I’m worried that DS will not get in. :? :?

I did speak to North Yorks admission team but they couldn’t tell me anything other than they have receive over 40 appeals which will be held first week in February and until then they do not know if DS will get a place or not.

Has anyone have or had any experience or knowledge with Ermystead and what are the chances of them upholding 17+ appeals?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hello and welcome,

I'm not up on the Ermysted exam but I'm sure some of the North Yorkies will be along to offer assistance. :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Being in Bradford LEA is no problem.. lots of the kids are from that LEA, all the oned from Silsden, Keighley, Ilkley Addingham etc etc so not all that far away.

There are figures available about the number of succesful appeals v number of total appeals - will find it and post again in a mo - don't think it has ever been 17...

The distance is very variable each year ... pm me if you want to say where you are.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Update:

Selection reviews for ermysted's GS

2007 Appeals 52 upheld 9
2008 Appeals 34 upheld 10
2009 Appeals 37 upheld 8

There are a lot of people appealing this year, (although was that 40 for ermysted's or the girls school too?) - poss because there are more places apparently available. I am sure that they will not be any less diligent in the appeals process because of this

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/CHttpHandl ... d=5355&p=0 page 16
arsenal_no1_fan

Hi, the person on the phone made it clear that there was over 40 apeals just for Ermystead boy school....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi .. fair enough, howver there were over 50 in 2007 and they upheld 9.
arsenal_no1_fan

Guess we'll just have to wait till D-Day, your right enough about not upholding more than 10 appeals.....just have to hope for the best!

Is there any point at this stage in buying a property in Skipton or near?

or were he unsuccessful would we be able to appeal on the grounds that we are purchasing a property or have bought one?

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

We'll all keep our fingers crossed for you!! Not sure about the buying house bit... you really have to be moving into the area for it to count. Also reckon it is supposed to be by a certain date, although we and others I have known did not actually move in until the summer before DCs started.
I think that if you do move in then you would have a good chance at an admission appeal ie passed the exam and living in the area...

PS ... got a house for sale if you want one ... deffo in catchment - can see the school out of the window..!
arsenal_no1_fan

no i meant we buy a house and move. But the only problem is that that you have to appeal by 15th March which doesn't give you time to secure a propery.

The house that you have for sale can you see the school with the naked eye or binoculars..LOL
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ho ho naked eye!!... from up stairs ... have to ask the kids if they like being that close to school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now