Late request for 12 + test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

happymoocow

Late request for 12 + test

Post by happymoocow »

Hello, I've got this message on the general board but I think this area of the forum is more appropriate. I'm hoping I can get some advice. My child has announced that she would like to sit the 12 plus (I'd been nagging her most of the year and now she decides...), My education authority is Bucks CC, the deadline for requests to sit the exam in three weeks time ( ) was in October. I've made an application on the grounds of her needs been better met at a Grammar school. What do you think my chances are? Also, if he was refused the opportunity to test can I appeal?

There have been a couple of issues at his current secondary school which have spurred this decision. Reasons I did not want to put in the application- maybe I should have, just didn't want to cloud the issue.
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Go for it!

You are supposed to have levels 5 for Sats in English and Maths. It changed last year - when we did it for our DD you could have 2 level 5's in Sats, but it could also include science - alas not now. But if you don't have these levels apparently the chances of success at appeal to take the 12+ is good.

My DD passed the 12+ (should have won the original 11+ appeal, but that's another story), and we eventually got there, albeit a year later.

Good luck - it is worth putting in the effort now, even though it takes over your life for a year.
many thanks
dejavu
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Also, I forgot to say - apply to take the 12+, but if DC doesn't want to take it - contact them the day before to cancel - your DC doesn't have to take it! So you could "play it by ear" and can keep all your options open.
many thanks
dejavu
happymoocow

Post by happymoocow »

Thanks- really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thing is, the 12+ in question is this years!! Not next. So I have made a late application (past the October deadline) to sit the exam in 3 weeks. Nail Biting time, not sure what my chances are. All SATs were at level 5. Tried to hurry Bucks CC along but they aren't having any of it. :twisted:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi. Can't give you any help on the likely success of your appeal, but I wanted to wish you luck. The issues at the current school might have been worth mentioning, but it really depends on what they are, I would think.

I assume you've read all the good advice on here - especially about the difference in the answer paper for the 12+ compared with the 11+?
happymoocow

Post by happymoocow »

Thanks Jazz, yes I've read the info about the differences between the papers- just don't want to start flogging her to hard immediately if it will come to no avail :lol:

The issues with the school didn't seem to match with the acceptable reasons for a late registration to take the exam. I've gone along the lines of insufficient progress made and not challenging enough- which is true on both parts.

Have to wait and see and just keep her ticking over in the meantime with practice.
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi Happymoocow,
I was interested to read your post about late registration for the 12+. I had applied for my daughter to sit the 12+ but was turned down as she did not achieve a L5 in her Maths. When we received the letter, we agreed to leave it at that, having appealed unsuccessfully at the 11+ stage. Since then, I have spoken to so many people who either have, or know, children who passed the 11+ but who did not achieve any Level 5's at all in their SATs. I have had a nagging doubt about my decision not to appeal for a number of weeks but assumed that I was too late to do anything about it. You post has prompted me to maybe try again!

Mummog x
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It does say somewhere on here (probably in the sticky?) that appeals against a refusal of permission to take the test are more often successful than other types of appeal.

Personally, I'd give it a go - you never know!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now