Slough grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catherine

Slough grammar schools

Post by Catherine »

As there has been very negative comments on another post about our chosen grammar, I would be very grateful to anyone who could give a qualified opinion of any the Slough grammar schools.

Thanks
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

To Pcn,

Thank you for your opinion about Slough Grammar. My view of headteachers is probably influenced by having had to put up with my son's actual head for the last 4 years.

My son passed the Bucks exam but we still prefer Slough. So the wait is not over. I cannot worry about our school choice anymore; I am too tired of worriing. Let's wait and see until after the results.

Best of luck,

Catherine

Post by Guest »

Well done to you son Catherine, and to yourself!! He did really well. :D

I know what you mean about being too tried to worry anymore!!
My daughter passed for a girls grammar in N.Yorks, but we are out of catchment, and I've heard(on the jungle drums through a reliable source) that 114 girls have passed(in and out of area) they take 112 places a year.

Hopefuly not everyone will have named my daughters chosen school as first preference??(think this has a bearing) :shock:
She has put the school as 1st preference and her other choices as second and third preference will probably be oversubscribed.

All I can do is hope that she will scrape through on distance!!!

I'm too tried to worry, but I'm a natural worrier so I'm sorry to say that I'm going to be acting like a mad woman :twisted: until offer day on 1st March next year!! :?

All the best for you're Son, I hope he receives his 1st choice.

Footymad. :wink:

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Well done to you're son Catherine, and to yourself!! He did really well. :D

I know what you mean about being too tried to worry anymore!!
My daughter passed for a girls grammar in N.Yorks, but we are out of catchment, and I've heard(on the jungle drums through a reliable source) that 114 girls have passed(in and out of area) they take 112 places a year.

Hopefuly not everyone will have named my daughters chosen school as first preference??(think this has a bearing) :shock:
She has put the school as 1st preference and her other choices as second and third preference will probably be oversubscribed.

All I can do is hope that she will scrape through on distance!!!

I'm too tried to worry, but I'm a natural worrier so I'm sorry to say that I'm going to be acting like a mad woman :twisted: until offer day on 1st March next year!! :?

All the best for you're Son, I hope he receives his 1st choice.

Post by Guest »

Hi,
Just realised that I wrote tried!! twice instead of tired!! lol!!

But you may agree with me that the process is rather trying!!

Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Not worrying is easier said than done, Footymad. Someone on TV yesterday mentioned than heads of state age considerably during their term. It could be something that happens to us all 11+ parents.

I sympathise with you having to wait until March unsure of your daughter's school allocation. But, surely, a lot more than 2 girls will have another school as first preference, even if your chosen school is very good. May be you could ask the school or the LEA to put your mind at rest? They won't give you a definite answer but you may give you useful hints.

Your daughter did very well and I am sure she won't be disappointed.

All the best

Post by Guest »

Hi Catherine,
Thanks for you're advice. I don't want to hassle the LEA incase it may go against me(daft reason but that's me!)

But hearing from someone else that it would be highly unlikely that all girls will have put it as first pref, puts my worrying mind slightly at ease!!

Footymad.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Dear footymad,

Don't forget the girls that would have sat Independant schools entry tests and have been hedging their bets. My local Grammar told me they have abot 20 kids a year who pass then take the place at independant schools.

If there are 114 girls for 112 places I would expect them all to get places.

Good luck.

Post by Guest »

Cheers for the info Kaz. I will try to stop the worrying now lol! :wink:

Footymad.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Went back to visit Slough Grammar today. Had a school tour, a chat with pupils and with the staff. I am now satisfied that we made the right decision in the first place, and happy with this choice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now