St Albans boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kitkat

St Albans boys

Post by kitkat »

Has anyone any experience of the St Albans admissions procedure? DS, a bright boy and talented cricketer has set his heart on going there. We are over the first hurdle in that having sat the entrance exam last week, he has been invited back to participate in 2 hours of lessons and activities. We are hoping that this must mean that he has a good chance of an offer since he has met their academic criteria but would appreciate information from anyone who can shed light on this second part of the admission procedure. Many thanks.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Did your DS have an interview after the exams? My DS did these exams in 2007.
kitkat

St Albans boys

Post by kitkat »

Thanks for your response, yes DS did have an interview in the afternoon after the exam, so that hurdle has been cleared we hope. We just wondered what they will be looking for on Thursday. Do you know how many candidates get to this stage and whether they are looking to weed them down much further at this stage?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi, I don't really know much about this stage but I would imagine they are looking for team players, ability to follow instructions and social interaction.
Schools always interview/assess many more than they have places for so that they can pick the creme de la creme.
I wish your DS all the best but be warned - St Albans is a fiercely academic school and sometimes puts its academic status above pastoral care.
splishy

Post by splishy »

Our son is at St Albans boys and the next round seems to be to assess interaction, sociability etc as mentioned before. If the results in their exames were at the lower end of the pass mark some boys are called out to have a mini one to one with a teacher to assess that they will cope and their 'pass' wasn't a fluke I suspect. This happened to my son in maths and I went into panic mode when he casually announced it when he came out afterwards. However he was offered a firm place, not on the waitlist and has absolutely thrived there, moving up maths groups along the way. It's an excellent school. If your son in sporty, musical, arty there's something for everyone. they do work them hard but they keep them busy and motivated in many ways, not just academically.
kitkat

St Albans boys

Post by kitkat »

Thank you both for your help with my question. Hopefully, as DS is sociable and sporty, all should be well on Thursday. Maths isn't his better subject so he may well end up on a one to one, but I will try not to stress about that one!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Good luck to your DS! Let us know the outcome.
lastminute

Post by lastminute »

DS goes in this afternoon for his lessons and 'other activities' at St A Boys. Was a last minute application with only a few practice VR and english/maths papers in December so pleasantly surprised when he was asked back.

Or are lots invited back and the discard rate at this stage high? Had reconciled selves to the local comp which is good but now will be in high state of anxiety until letters in Feb. Any feedback on school and selection process please :)
kitkat

St Albans boys

Post by kitkat »

Many thanks for all your helpful messages last month. The letter arrived today and much to our relief DS has been offered a place so we are absolutely delighted and DS is over the moon. I hope that the outcome was similarly good for anyone else who was waiting for the long awaited letter - how can a month seem so long?!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Many congratulations Kitkat's DS - well done!! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now