Cambs. schools

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cambs mum

Cambs. schools

Post by Cambs mum »

Does anyone know why there is no section for Cambridgeshire. I think there are still some schools that do the 11+. If not, there are definitely schools in Peterborough which do similar entrance exams (highly sought after) & know of loads of parents anxiously awaiting results. In one particular school there are 12 places offered on an academic basis for which there are usually 200+ applicants. I'm sure that they would find this forum useful.
SJ

Post by SJ »

I believe that you are talking about Kings School in Peterborough, although you have to take entrance exams for this school it isn't actually the 11+. I am not sure that there are schools in Peterborough that actually do the 11+, but I do know of schools like Kings where you have to take entrance exams. Maybe that is why there is no section for Cambridgehsire, however I am unsure as to whether schools in Cambridge for example do the 11+? Do you know whether they do?

Forum Admin- With the shake up in the secondary school system in Peterborough, it might be helpful for those parents and children in the area to have their own section to discuss their concerns/ideas?
Cambs mum

Post by Cambs mum »

SJ wrote:I believe that you are talking about Kings School in Peterborough, although you have to take entrance exams for this school it isn't actually the 11+. I am not sure that there are schools in Peterborough that actually do the 11+, but I do know of schools like Kings where you have to take entrance exams. Maybe that is why there is no section for Cambridgehsire, however I am unsure as to whether schools in Cambridge for example do the 11+? Do you know whether they do?

Forum Admin- With the shake up in the secondary school system in Peterborough, it might be helpful for those parents and children in the area to have their own section to discuss their concerns/ideas?
Not sure about Cambridge schools , maybe a new section would shed some light! Hope you get your !st choice in Lincs. SJ - are you in catchment?

Re: Cambs schools

Post by Guest »

Apologies if this appears a couple of times. I posted and submitted a reply but it does not appear to have sent so I will have another go! BTW I doubt it'll be verbatim 2nd time round.
Within Cambridgeshire and Cambridge itself there are no state schools whereby entry is gained via the 11+, Cambridgeshire being a 'comprehensive' region and has been for many many years now. However, there are several comprehensives with excellent GCSE A*- C percentages bearing in mind each year group includes all the ability range. Once pupils finish year 11, they move onto a sixth form college of which there are 3 in Cambridge [only 2 cater for A' level subjects and 1 of these is selective by GCSE grades].
Schools with entrance exams are in the private sector, 2 exclusively for girls, 1 exclusively for boys and 2 coeducational. These are at 11-16/18, although some have prep facilities and there are other preps in addition. The schools referred to here are in Cambridge itself.
SJ

Post by SJ »

[/quote]Not sure about Cambridge schools , maybe a new section would shed some light! Hope you get your !st choice in Lincs. SJ - are you in atchment?[/quote]

No I am afraid we are not in catchment for either of our local grammar schools, so we will just have to wait and see on 1.3.07. Which schools in Cambs did you visit?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now