12+ Exam

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

12+ Exam

Post by Looking for help »

Does anyone know whether grammar schools have to by law offer this test to anyone who applies or can they legally refuse in their admissions policy to allow someone who has failed at 11+ to sit a 12+ exam for that school? This school is not in Buckinghamshire, as I believe they have a standard 12+ route.

Thanks

LFH
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi LFH

Etienne has a thread somewhere in appeals about this. I'll try and find it. I think it was open for interpretation.

I didn't find the one I was looking for but this is similar.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 19dc036d40
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

LFH, this is exciting - are you planning to sit DS?
Looking for help

No, not sure I could put my son through it, but I have asked the question and been told under no circumstances can we do it.....red rag to a bull I think :evil: I just want to know whether this is something that is legally correct, or whether it is wrong. Not sure what I'd do with the info. Thanks mitasol, I remember a thread but can't quite find it :oops:
Looking for help

Mitasol so am I right in thinking then that it is illegal to take this stance, and could be challenged ? A school cannot refuse entry in year 8 or above just because the child has failed at 11+ ? Who would I go to with this, the schools adjudicator?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I think you need to speak to Etienne. :oops:
I definitely got the impression from the thread, that this could be challenged. :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

LFH

Mitasol is great at finding threads! :lol: - It's the right one, I think.

I was quoting what the Code of Practice appeared to say at the time, but I could be missing something.

I've had a quick look at the current Code, and as far as I can see at a glance, it's more or less the same (albeit different paragraph numbers).
Appeals following casual applications for grammar schools
3.39 Admission authorities for grammar schools are bound by the same duty as those for other maintained schools. This means that they must consider applications made at any time and if they refuse to admit the child, must explain to parents their right of appeal. See paragraph 4.1 regarding further appeals within the same academic year.
3.40 Some grammar schools do not offer a facility for testing applicants for admission outside the normal admissions round. In this situation, if the admission authority is not willing to accept that a casual applicant is of the required academic ability for admission, it should make arrangements for an appropriate assessment of the child’s ability to be made if an appeal is lodged e.g. by obtaining information from the current or previous school. Otherwise, the panel must work on the assumption that the child is of the required academic standard, and follow the two-stage process described in paragraphs 3.1 to 3.7
If you want to follow it up, then an organisation I've mentioned before is probably the best place to start. It's the Advisory Centre for Education. You'll find their advice line here:
http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/about-ace/
If you're lucky, they'll put you through to one of their lawyers for free advice .........
Etienne
Looking for help

Thank you Etienne and mitasol...it is certainly food for thought. I particularly like the bit about the assumption the child is of the 'required academic standard', I assume though they would just say the he isn't :!:
Ah now all I need to do is be brave ....not sure I have it in me, but I will mull it over in my head and see............
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Etienne wrote:It's the right one, I think.
Yes it is the right one. For some reason, I thought the thread was from earlier than Jan 09. :oops:

Good Luck with the decision LFH.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I was just browsing through the School Admissions Appeal Code, and remembered this point as well. It is the one that Etienne referred to in her earlier post on here.
4.1 Appellants who have appealed unsuccessfully can apply for a place at the same school in respect of a later academic year and have a further right of appeal if that application is unsuccessful.
Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now