Year 6 child diagnosed with dyslexia after the test

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

trumpet

Year 6 child diagnosed with dyslexia after the test

Post by trumpet »

Has anyone got any idea what happens if a child is diagnosed with dyslexia after the test but before allocations?

Is there any grounds for appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm assuming you haven't already had an appeal?

There is no statutory time limit for submitting an appeal, but a late request may well mean that the appeal cannot be heard within the normal time frame, and it might not take place until after 1st March.

To carry weight, I would have thought that the degree of dyslexia would need to be sufficiently severe to explain the shortfall in marks. Also, if no one knew about the dyslexia, or could reasonably have been expected to know, then the LA is not responsible for any failure to provide reasonable adjustments to the test.
Etienne
SSM

Post by SSM »

I presume it also depends on what LEA it is.

Kent LEA don't allow any extra time in the 3 papers, I think they may allow extra time in the writing task, but that is only looked at for headmasters appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The "no time limit" for submitting an appeal is statutory, so it has to apply everywhere.

What adjustments were available is not really an issue because this situation arises after the test, and the DDA is unlikely to apply.

Irrespective of the LA, an appeal panel is required to consider any extenuating circumstances - unless there has already been a fair, consistent and objective review. The one other difference local circumstances can make is how strict local appeal panels are in their judgement of the evidence.
Etienne
Etienne

Re: Year 6 child diagnosed with dyslexia after the test

Post by Etienne »

Drummer - I've moved your post to Bucks as my reply is specific to your Local Authority.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now