Scholarship interview - 3 hours!!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BB248

Scholarship interview - 3 hours!!!

Post by BB248 »

Can anyone help? My DC has been invited for a scholarship interview at Bromsgrove School but the want him there for 3 hours!! There are apparently 3 separate interviews - science, humanities and Headmasters. We're completely new to all this but I was stunned. Is it normal? I'm in two minds as to whether to subject him to such an onerous process, not least because I think it fairly unlikely that he'll get a scholarship. 20 are interviewed for 5 places. What could they expect him to know that takes 3 hours to discover??
Daogroupie

Great odds

Post by Daogroupie »

20 for 5 spaces, that is great odds! We have been playing with much greater odds than this, 400 for 10 spaces at the music tests. He may well get an assignment on the science, ie he will do some sort of experiment and be asked to write up the results and form a conclusion. Same on the literacy, he may be given something to think about and form an opinion about it and then be asked to explain it.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm guessing here, I may be wrong. I imagine most of the 3 hours will be spent waiting between interviews. They surely could not afford 3 hours for each of the 20 children?

You know the situation better than I though, and your child too - maybe you feel that would struggle with the pressure of the 3 hour session. Let's face it, mant adults would.

Perhaps 'phone the school to clarify?

All the best, I agree that the odds are actually pretty good.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think EM is right but 3 hours is not too bad. If DS sits for a scholarship they will have him for 3 whole days and he has to stay overnight! :shock:
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Goodness. Thank you. I really thought it'd be a 15 min chat, but I'll stop being so incredulous now. Yes a call to the school sounds sensible.

Thank you all again
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I suspect they will want to see how the boys all interact when the interviews are not going on and each chat will only be about 5 mins long. The best of luck to your son! :)
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

I'm sure he will enjoy the experience. We had a similar situation last year and it was three short interviews but also a lesson which had a group work element so I suppose they can judge how the children can think out of the box and see if they are sociable. Our son loved they day.

The beauty with scholarship interviews is that by definition your child has a place already in the school so he can relax. He can enjoy the session and get to find out if he liked the school and teachers. There is really no preparation that he can do except an early night and a good breakfast. And then just be himself.

Well done to your ds to get this far.. its a real achievement.
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Ed's Mum, Tipsy et al,

You were all right! I called the school & each of the 3 interviews will only be 10 mins or so, so lots of hanging around / opportunity to see the group interact. I do feel for you parents whose DC have to go through longer processes esp if the odds are worse. So I see that we ARE lucky - good odds, shortish process.

Thanks again for your advice. I'm less uptight now!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Glad you're less uptight! :D Keep us all posted!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Super.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now