Now Worried

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bucks Appeal

Now Worried

Post by Bucks Appeal »

I have been following all the posts, getting ready for our appeal at the end of next week. We have just received our pack, and have had a real knock to our confidence.

Our DD was expected by all involved to do very well in the 11 plus, but scored a very low 112 and 114, we were in shock the day the results came out.
The other details are,
HT assessment 1:1 and very positive comments on our submission
level 5s for KS2
scored 90% in the familiarisation test, placed 2nd in year.( she was regularly scoring 90% plus in tests at home)
VR of 133 yr 4 and 121 yr 5 school acknowledges this is low and have provided a very good reason why.
Plus we have 2 extenuating circumstances for the low scores.

We have just received the pack ahead of the appeal and found that the HT assessments placed 28% at 1:1 (12% passed) and all others were ungraded.
We have been pinning alot on the 1:1 assessment, but it seems that the 1:1 grade is not worth much at our DDs school.
We now feel we will be rolling up at our appeal for an inevitable rejection.
Bucks Appeal

Any advice

Post by Bucks Appeal »

Hi Sally Anne and Etienne, just looking to see if you can provide some focus to our appeal, I can send details of our extenuating circurmstances, but think its best to send via PM.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Bucksappeal

I expect S-A and E are snowed under at present - but I just wonder if you know how many kids the 28% / 12% refers to?

(i am sure someone whose matehmatical brain is more swicthed on than mine today could tell straight )
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Bucksappeal

Sorry, I missed your post for some reason.

Please send the details of your extenuating circumstances to the AppealsBox, details at the top of the page.

Sally-Anne
Bucks Appeal

Post by Bucks Appeal »

Hi I have sent details to the appeals box.
Thanks for you time.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Bucks Appeal

I do wish all Heads could produce summary sheets that are as factual and detailed as yours, but I just wish that your Head had put as much effort into getting the recommendations right.

I can't really comment further until I see those, so please could you post the recommendations here - reading the top row from left to right, then the second row, in the format:

1:1 Recommended/Qualified
1:2
1:3
2:1
etc

Also the total not recommended.

If you prefer to send them to the AppealsBox that is fine.

Sally-Anne
Bucks Appeal

Post by Bucks Appeal »

Hi Sally-Anne

Posted the data via the Appeals Box.

As you noted the HT and staff have been very supportive so we thought we just had to explain the poor performance on the day.
Now we think we are a little exposed, with the all the good academic points now put into doubt.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thank you Bucks Appeal.

I have replied to you from the AppealsBox as it was not possible to reply publicly on the Forum in the specific circumstances of your case.

Sally-Anne
Bucks Appeal

Post by Bucks Appeal »

Sally-Anne

Just sent a reply to the appeals box. I have included as much information as I can so limiting number of messages.

I recall there is another thread on this forum where the HT recommendations were in a similar style, I'll see if i can find it again.

Many thanks
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

'Bucks Appeal' ... I've been following your thread and noted your concerns regarding the HT recommendations/accuracy.

At my DDs school, the HT recommendations were not very accurate and I was duly concerned about this - how it would be looked at by an appeal panel? However, in our appeal, even before we could speak (it was the LA Reps section) the LA Rep discusssed the HT recommendations page in our case notes. The LA Rep more or less said (can't remember exact words :roll: ) that we should not be concerned with the accuracy of the results as many HTs base this not just on the expectation of the 11+ but the child's school academic/performance. The Rep also went on to say that the difference in HT recommendation and results can be great and we should not be worried about this!

At the time I was slighty surprised by this (although didn't show it :wink: ) as I fully expected this to be raised at the appeal by the panel. However, due to the LA Rep bringing this up right at the beginning of the appeal - no reference was made after that!
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now