Bursary Appeal

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hector

Bursary Appeal

Post by Hector »

Hi, just received the news that DD didn't get into first choice school, which was a disappointment.
However she did get offered a place at our second choice which is a great school too. So happiness.... but now found out is only full-fee paying place and with very little likelihood of bursary in future years (as bursaries given at Yr 7 entry point). So despair.... as absolutely no way we can afford to pay full-fees.
Do schools have such things as waiting lists for bursaries, ie if one of the girls offered a bursary actually takes up a place elsewhere, would her bursary monies be re-allocated? And if so how?
It is soooo hard after all this effort and angst to have to say "sorry DD, but you can't go". She ,bless her, has been very accepting of situation as she has known all along it wasn't just dependent on her but monies too. Still, it's one thing to say it at the beginning and another to go through it.
Any thoughts?
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. I think the best thing that you can do is to have a conversation with the school, probably with the Bursar. I would expect it to be sympathetic with your situation.

My DD's school seems more flexible and informal than most. Certainly bursaries there are applied for after places are awarded and not before and there are no hard and fast rules on qualification criteria, amounts awarded etc. Nor is it limited to Year 7 intake but is available to those whose circumstances change (for the worst!).

I would have thought many schools would operate a set annual budget for bursaries. So yes if someone dropped out then that money might be available. That said a bursary is typically only awarded to applicants who appear to have much to offer a school rather than ones who scrape in. Like I said above have a conversation with the school. This is nothing to lose.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Hi Hector, Only read you posting late. Commiserations and congratulations! Guest43 is right to encourage you to take your case up directly with the bursar. I would also advise as a preliminary to speak to the registry which will be aware of the criteria the school admissions policy cherishes and ensure, if there are any unusual circumstances, your child will not be turned away for financial reasons.
You do not mention any school by name so it is difficult to give specific advice. Older established schools have significant financial flexibility and this is very effectively managed. It is very important not to delay your approach. Good luck and let us know how things turn out!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now